1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg V4B > Aguilar GS112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tightbidness, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Will this combination work? Does running a 100W vintage head completely defeat the purpose of using a power hungry, modern cabinet? How about the V4B into two GS112s? I've read it can be dangerous to underpower speakers.

Maybe this is a ridiculous combination. I'm relatively ignorant when it comes to bass amplification. Basically I love the sound and portability of the GS112 and may have access to a V4B, which I dig as well. There's no way a folded horn 2x15" cabinet will fit into my hatchback.

2. well it should work but don´t expect tremendous volume thou. i´ve used my V4 with an SWR 6x10 (1000w) and it was no problem, the owner of the cab uses it with his 70´s V4 and it sounds just fine.

3. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I've read that too but I dont see how it could possible damage anything, could someone elaborate on this?

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The GS112 is not a particularly power hungry cabinet. I think they are pretty efficient.

Underpowering speakers is a myth. People who talk about it dont understand that what they are talking about is actually overpowering a speaker by clipping the amp (and exceeding the power dissipation rating for the amp possibly to a level the speaker cant handle) and subsequently overheating the voice coil. The only thing you will need to worry about is overpowering the speaker.

Sure the combination will work. I suggest trying it out before you buy!

5. Thanks for the responses. A drummer I play with has a V4B in his basement. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't flirting with disaster by pairing it with my GS112.