1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg V4B + AV212 Dumb ohm question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeepSouth, Dec 7, 2018.

1. DeepSouth

DeepSouth

Aug 6, 2008
    I very close to going for the v4B AV212 setup. After literally hrs of reading here on the forums the 2x12 AV gets rave reviews with this amp.

I did notice however the AV2x12 is a 4 ohm cab, on the back it has two inputs. The V4B Speaker Outputs: 1 x 8 ohm, 2 x 4 ohm, 2 x 2 ohm.

So how are you hooking them up?

2. You’d plug your speaker cable into one of the 4Ω outputs on the amp.

3. DeepSouth

DeepSouth

Aug 6, 2008
    Thx, That would cut down on the volume right? I would need to add a second 4 ohm cab to get full volume. I noticed the 1x15 cab is 8 ohms. Seems like that's the cab best suited for the amp if you wanted to just run one cab.

4. A tube amp delivers it’s maximum into any load of the correct impedance connected properly to it!

Your question only applies to solid state amps.

bobyoung53, gitfiddl and Ed Byrnes like this.
  5. DeepSouth

DeepSouth

Aug 6, 2008
    Good to know, thx again.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  6. Dunno why 115 would get anything other than less from 100w than 212. The loudest cab is the most sensitive cab at an appropriate impedance for the amp.

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

The way the jacks are labeled is confusing. The amp has three output taps, 2, 4, and 8 ohms. The 2 ohm tap has two parallel jacks, the 4 ohm tap has two parallel jacks, and the 8 ohm tap has one jack.

You want the total load provided by the speakers to match the impedance expected by the output tap.

If you have one 8 ohm speaker connect it to the 8 ohm jack. If you have two 8 ohm speakers, connect them to the 4 ohm jacks. Two 8 ohm speakers connected in parallel (8/2=4).

If you have one 4 ohm speaker connect it to one of the 4 ohms jacks. If you have two 4 ohm speakers, connect them to the 2 ohms jacks. Two 4 ohm speakers connected in parallel (4/2=2)

If you have a 2 ohm speaker, connect it to one of the 2 ohm jacks.

I suggest you read the manual (attached). The proper way to connect speakers to the amp is covered on page 8.

Attached Files:

bobyoung53 likes this.