Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg V4B cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metron, Mar 31, 2005.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Well I should be getting an Ampeg V4B in the mail soon from TBer 4mal (thanks!) and Im wondering what cabinets you people are using with them. I have no requirements except for size. I will not be using an 810! :D Berg NV is probably the biggest I would go and its definitely something I have had in mind for it. Just curious about other possibilities for a good match. Thanks!

2. i use mine with a marshall VBC 4x12". it gives me plenty of punch.
    i´ve used it with an SWR 6x10" with good results(a little more flat sounding but with more deepbass).
    i think it sounds better with bigger cabinets and with 12´s and 15´s rather than 10´s (if it´s not an 610 or 810 ;) ).
    if you don´t mind overdrive, go for a smaller cab (2x12 / 1x15) and push the amp harder to get some great overdriven mayhem out of it!

3. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Cool I like the sound of overdriven mayhem! :D I use bergantino HT cabs right now (210/115). Im not sure if they will be a good match or not but Ill try it out. I thought a sealed design might work better.

4. What ever happened to the old V4B 2-15 folded horn bass cab? I remember lusting after one of those in my early bass playing days. There must not be very many in existance because I NEVER see anybody unloading them. Classic cab though...

5. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Probably pretty rare. Ive never seen one. I was thinking about something like a 115, 212, or 410 for myself. Man those old ampeg cabs are for the most motivated players! I bet it would sound huge though.

6. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    According to the tracking # the V4B has landed at my home! :hyper:

7. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA

i have one in pennsylvania at the studio i play at when i'm there. great cab. its the only one ive ever seen around.

8. Hi Metron,

How are you making out with the new Ampeg? Have you been using it with the Bergantino cabinets listed in your profile?

Thanks,
    Seth

9. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I absolutely love the sound of this amp. I played it with my ultra loud drummer buddy last weekend and it kept up just as well as the PLX2402/Demeter rig Ive used in the past. (I usually set up that amp on one channel not bridged)

Overall Im quite suprised at how good it sounds with the HT Bergs I have. I dont know why but I figured they wouldnt be a great match but they work pretty well! Only problem I found is that at full on distortion (with the volume above 1) the cones started flapping a lot especially the 15. They didnt seem to happy about that so I cut it back a little. I guess thats where sealed cabs are superior with tube amps. Im so close to buying a Berg NV cab but I cant do it now! :crying:

To put things into perspective... a few weeks ago I bought a DB 680 and I love it very much. Since then I got the Ampeg and have found the sound Ive been looking for. I love both rigs and will keep both for sure but the ampeg is my favorite!

I noticed the players and influences you list all have old school based sounds. Ive got both Jamerson and Wood in this amp!!! :bassist: No doubt it would be sweet for reggae too!

10. I'm glad you're enjoying the V4B so much. It's especially nice to hear praise from a bassist who is experienced with modern amplification (Demeter/Aguilar/QSC). I've always wanted a V4 but figured it would require an unweildy vintage speaker cabinet. The V4s I've played through were connected to vintage folded horn and 2x15 cabs.

BTW, I played through a Bergantino NV610 last month and it was killer.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Your amp sounded killer through my Schroeder 1210 too, FWIW. That handles distortion really well, in my experience.

Glad you're enjoying it, it's a good one.

12. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks guys! Yeah Charlie Ive been thinking about a Schroeder too. The 1210 sounded good with lots of distortion huh? The local shop just got a 410 in I might have to try. They have the Berg NV cabs too! It might be some time before I get a new cab for this beast because Im not playing in a band right now so I cant really justify it to myself.

Seth - I have been on a "modern" amplification quest since I decided I needed an upgrade from my first peavey combo amp a few years back. I thought it would be the ticket for me but I find now that I need both. :D

13. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Hey metron,
    just to let you know, guitar x has the schroeder line of cabs in. You should go and take a listen. JMO, I thought they were nice cabs but I didnt like them for my tastes.

14. Opas

Opas

Aug 1, 2004
    Harrisburg, PA
    I played a 70's V4B thru an Ampeg 410HLN. It was a pretty good combination. The overdrive I got out of that amp was the best I've ever heard. Unfortunately I sold the V4B cause I wanted that overdriven tone at a volume level that didn't tear my head off. I approximate it now with newer gear but it will never sound quite as good as the real thing.

15. Passinwind

It sounded great IMHO, but bear in mind that I only play fretless basses, and the Schroeder really shines for fretless, distorted or not. :cool: I really liked how it sounded through my E-V 1 X 15 cab (TL-606 style) too, as I mentioned before.

I have a homebrewed preamp that's loosely modeled on a cross between the B-15 and the V4 pre sections. The Schroeder is my go-to cab when I use that preamp, but your V4 makes deeper low end, and did make the Schroeder jumpier than most other rigs I've played through it. I didn't get the feeling that your amp was about to hurt the cab though, FWIW. The 1212 seems like it might be a better match, but hopefully you can try the different models and decide for yourself if you dig 'em.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO,

Accugroove cabs seem to mind meld with all tube gear like no cab i've yet experienced.

dunno why that is, just is for me. *shrug*

17. intresting you say all these "hi-fi" cabs sound good with distortion(bergantino, schroeder). do you leave the tweeters on?
    i havnt found a cab that i didn´t have to turn the horn off when overdriving the amp. so i ended up playing "vintage"-style cabs and building my own.

18. Passinwind

In my case, I leave the horns on all the time, but I build my own preamps and distortion units, and I tailor them to a speaker w/horn. The Schroeder horn seems to need less compensation than most though, hence the stock V4 sounded pretty good through it. Again, bear in mind that I play fretless though.

I avoided tweeters in bass cabs for many years, but in my experience the newer ones can be pretty darn nice, regardless of what style you're going for. I'd been playing through homemade cabs for a few decades until recently too. I'm about as far away from being a vintage guy as one can get, but I still dug that V4 a lot.

19. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I cut the tweeter back just a few dB. I found that the tone knob on my jazz could cut out any high end distortion I didnt like better though so I just left the tweet knob at 0.

Edit: Ok after about 30 minutes of messing around with it I find that I like it best with lots o distortion when the tweeter is off completely. I think the tweeter (or lack of) is going to heavily influence my final cab decision for this amp.

20. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I did see the Schroeder 410 last time I was in there. I need to stay away for a little while though because next time I go Ill be coming home with a new cab! Wait... have you thought about selling your NV 610 at all? :D

Thanks joker Ill have to try the AG cabs too! I read that oddio likes them a lot with his all tube aggie rig.