1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg V4B cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turkeylips, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Turkeylips

Turkeylips

Sep 29, 2008
    Oslo, Norway
    Hi! I am new to the forum. I am currently setting up my first bass rig, and have just been offered to buy a 1970´s Ampeg V4B 2x15 cabinet. I am wondering if anyone have any experience with this cabinet, and and how it would match my amp head, an 80´s Marshall 3520 solid state, 200 W, 4ohms. I have been adviced by bass playing friends that the Ampeg 2x15 is the bees knees, when it comes to that retro 70´s rock tone.

I play a MM Stingray 4. Music wise its mostly Rock/funk.

Thanks,

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I had several Ampeg 2x15 cabs in the past, and they *are* great, but we're talking about bass-reflex cabs here. The V4B was a folded horn, as I recall, and therefore doesn't fit into the same category. I don't remember if it had smaller, forward-facing speakers as treble assist, with an internal passive crossover. I think it did. Who knows, you may like it, but I guarantee it *will* have a sound that's way different from your standard Ampeg reflex cab. Another thing: we're talking a cab that is large, deep, and heavy. There's a lot of plywood in cabs of that design. "145 pounds" sticks in my mind from an old catalog, but that could be just a burnt synapse firing early in the morning. This one will need a van or a utility trailer, with ramps or very strong helpers.

carsbybigd likes this.
  3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    If it's a "real" '70's V4B cab it was indeed a reflex cabinet and also a real Goliath. They weren't all that popular and other designs quickly outmoded them. They're hard to hear when you're on stage with them, though they were also known to flatten audiences against the back wall of the room. If you search the TB archives, you'll find a recent thread on them as well.

carsbybigd likes this.
  4. Turkeylips

Turkeylips

Sep 29, 2008
    Oslo, Norway
    Sounds like overkill for my use then. I won´t play any large gigs in the near future, and it sounds like i need to buy a truck to move it.
    I talked to the guy, and i am going to try it out some time soon, but i will probably look for something else.
    Thanks a lot for all the input. It is much appreciated.