Ampeg V4B Classic Series Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassTank84, Feb 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. So, I have my favorite tube amp that finally needs some work. I was playing it one day, and noticed that the bass frequencies were cutting out. I fiddled some knobs, and it started acting normal again. It did it a couple times, then I went to flip it into standby mode and it let out a not very pleasant high pitch squeal. Is this just a tube going out that needs replaced? All the power tubes are glowing in similar fashion, not that is always a tell tale sign they are good, but just wondering if this is a preamp tube, or something else? Anyone have this happen, and know the quick fix?

2. Genzler Ampeg Rig.jpg

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    It's time for your amp to be thoroughly diagnosed and serviced once the actual cause of your symptoms are (correctly) identified. Use a tech that is both qualified and experienced it servicing legacy Ampeg products. Beware of techs who claim that "it's bad caps" or "bad transformer(s)" without a proper diagnosis or you will find yourself paying for parts that you really didn't need.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021