1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Ampeg V4B - Magnavox Era - Near Mint - Low Hours - Original Tubes

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Jim C, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Serial #36473
    I bought this amp from the original owner approx 35 yerars ago. It was mostly used as a practice amp and occasionaly in the studio (& maybe 3 gigs) on my watch.
    Near mint, original tubes, NO ISSUES, pics will be posted later.
    This is the black grill cloth, black lettering, and kill buttons (instead of rocker switches) for stand-by, polarity, and power model.
    When I use tubes I use my SVT - time for a new home where it will get played.

Reduced - Now $650 + actual shipping

For comparison, this amp just sold on eBay for $610 and was bought from an estate sale with no history:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...QzIX1KM%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The only trade deal I can think of would be with either a Mesa M6 / M9 or a light weight Sting Ray (with cash being used to level out the deal).

2. Col E Loc

Col E Loc Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Just as I Was Missing my old V4, and thinking of trading away my Mesa M600, you show up with this deal. was it the Carbine, or the MPulse you were looking for?

I Look forward to seeing Pics.

3. Jefe

Jefe Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    PM incoming.

4. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Front view

Attached Files:

5. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Rear View
    Didn't want to disturb any of the vintage dust under the tubes. This amp is an untouched survivor. Don't think a screw has been turned or a part replaced. Collector quality and it works perfectly.

Attached Files:

6. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Bump for lower price and PM's returned

7. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    TTT

8. Bob Opera

Bob Opera

Dec 21, 2003
    "This is the black grill cloth, black lettering, and kill buttons (instead of rocker switches) for stand-by, polarity, and power model."

the black grill cloth is not original

9. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    This amp was approx 2 years old when I bought it from the original owner (who worked at the music store he bought it from). It looks completely original and untouched. I've searched the obvious Ampeg sites and find no evidence to support your claim.

10. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    And the masses wonder how this would sound on top of a Berg AE212... :eyebrow:

11. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Have never had the pleasure of using any Ampeg amp with a Berg AE cabinet but this amp sounds great through my Berg HT322.
    The V4B sounds similar to an SVT but a bit smoother and more refined.
    At lower volumes, crystal clear and full range without a brittle high end, and when pushed, a very musical overdriven tone.

12. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    And that's supposed to make me want it less? :scowl: Trying very hard to resist a 70 lb. amp...

13. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Where are you located?

14. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm in Rockville, Maryland; just outside of Washington DC and Northern Virginia.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and your loved ones.

15. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Too bad...I'm in Canada. It was a longshot, but it would cost waay too much to ship.

16. Beautiful amp, and it does look completely original with the exception of the black cloth. The Hopkins & Moore book puts that combination of knobs and switches in the Selmer-Magnavox era and it should have blue and silver cloth. Hopkins & Moore indicate that the textured black cloth wasn't in use until after 1986. I'm looking at page 211 for this info.

17. Regardless of the debate over the grill cloth, this amp is sweet. $15 worth of cloth and 45 minutes of time with a staple gun would result in any cloth that one's heart desires.

18. Wileee

Wileee

Jan 2, 2008
    VA
    PM sent!

19. ItsNotMeTalking

ItsNotMeTalking

Feb 16, 2005
    Hi, what's its approx weight?
    thanks

20. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Ampeg literature as well as a bathroom scale say 60 lbs.
    (who wants to start the thread comparing 60 lbs of tube vs. SS tone ;))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.