1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg V4b needs a new home.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldcaliforniaki, Dec 7, 2011.

1. oldcaliforniaki

oldcaliforniaki

Jan 4, 2010
    I'm 62 now, opened for the Strawberry Alarm Clock in 1969 and put away the bass in 1973. In 1998, started playing the upright in a country swing band and bought this Ampeg V4b head. Had it serviced and recovered in a blonde tolex material it to fit the 50's style music we were playing. It weighs too much for me to move around nowadays and I'm not playing out anymore. May just get a small practice amp to take its place.

Any recommendations?

Attached Files:

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    1. Become a supporting member.

2. Put for sale ad in amp classifieds. Specify local sale, or see various FAQs on amp shipping.

3. Phone starts ringing off the hook. :)

3. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    But also, tell us about opening up for the Strawberry Alarm Clock! I'm always available to listen to stories from the psychedelic era. Nice looking amp, BTW.

4. oldcaliforniaki

oldcaliforniaki

Jan 4, 2010
    Thanks. I hadn't even thought of selling my amp on this website as I thought I was going to put in on Craigslist locally. Just was wondering what other 'older' retired bass players replace their 'heavier' equipment with to play in their homes. I was hoping of getting a small amp that can be used to jam with a few musicians if the occasion arises.

Will check out the supporting member info.

5. oldcaliforniaki

oldcaliforniaki

Jan 4, 2010
    I played bass for a handful of local bands (Bellflower, Downey, California) from 1966 to 1970. My last rock gig was at the Marina Palace in Seal Beach, New Year's Eve, lead singing in a band called Plumgoo.

6. solodb

solodb

Jun 3, 2011
    British Columbia
    Here's what I recommend. Keep the V4B and get a nice light solid state amp to mess around with. I am in my fifties and own an old V4B too. When we play out , I take a solid state Ampeg head that can sound close to that glorious old tube beast . But I sure like the older all tube heads for rehearsal and playing at home. You will miss the V4B if you get rid of it. It does something sonically that few other amps accomplish. Play it and enjoy it and let younger up and coming bassists that you trust try it out so they get a taste of what bass can sound like with the retro gear.

7. oldcaliforniaki

oldcaliforniaki

Jan 4, 2010
    In the 60's, I had tube amps (Bassman and Dual Showman) and never a solid state amp up to this point. I do like the sound of my Ampeg. I play it through a single extra heavy duty 15" Electrovoice speaker. Was hoping there was a combo amp, or like you said, just getting a solid state head.

8. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    Keep the v4b and start working out a little.

62 is not to old to start working out. Nothing crazy, Just 30min a day of basic fitness. Before you know it, you'll carry that ampeg around with you just for fun.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Go audition a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout 12 combo.
    I bet you like it!

10. oldcaliforniaki

oldcaliforniaki

Jan 4, 2010
    Hey Clearwave,

I just finished hand carrying over 500 50# pieces of broken concrete 100 feet down the hillside of my house to build a retaining wall. Fitness is not the problem. Just looking to lighten the load if possible.

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
  12. solodb

solodb

Jun 3, 2011
    British Columbia
    Yup, you can have a blast just trying out all the great new solid state heads out there. Take your cab and bass and A,B,C,D.... a whole lot of them. You will be pleasantly suprised at the different flavours for not too much money. Also, don't forget there is a ton of used gear to consider. Bass players are notorious for flipping their gear on a whim to get something different!

13. oldcaliforniaki

oldcaliforniaki

Jan 4, 2010
    Just went to their website. Yes, that looks like something to consider. How does it compare with the Ampeg BA-115? See a number of these for sale locally.

Will have to try them myself.

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I've never played that ampeg combo, sorry...

15. solodb

solodb

Jun 3, 2011
    British Columbia
    I've tried few of the Ampeg BA series combos. In my opinion, they are not among Ampeg's best efforts. I am an Ampeg fan and own two old Ampeg heads. I've seen many BA series combos traded in or sold, but like everything, many guys like them and only you can decide if their sound and features are right for you. Be sure to try out the new Ampeg portaflex line PF 350 and PF 500 as you are doing all your comparitive shopping.

16. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    +1! I have a V-4B and love it. My lightweight alternative (and only other amp) is a Walkabout.:)

17. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I use a V4BH on a '72 810 and I don't want to get rid of either one. This is coming from a guy who still needs to see a doc about a pretty bad and still lingering arm injury from a crash a month ago. Weight IS an issue for me and I'm only 22! To compensate, my light rig is a Ampeg PF500/PF115. I can lots of good tones out of that particular combination. The head weighs 10 lbs and cab 43 or so if I recall.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fantastic head...I'd hang onto it, but you won't find a shortage of buyers if you want to sell it. For my money, the SS head that sounds most like it is the Ampeg SVT 7 Pro, but the PF500, PF350 and Micro VR are also amazingly tubey-sounding heads despite not having a tube, and they're a few hundy less than the 7 Pro.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I love the V4B and V4BH amps. Also gotta +1 the Walkabout suggestion. It's an amp without equals, tonally, and paired with a good 2x12, all you'll need.

20. oldcaliforniaki

oldcaliforniaki

Jan 4, 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. I will go try my basses ('76 precision and Hofner upright) in the Walkabout, the Ampeg combos and Ampeg solid state heads to see if I can let my V4b go.