Ampeg V4B or svt 3 pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPKobane, May 18, 2017.

1. JPKobane

JPKobane

Nov 23, 2015
    Hey fellow rhythm dealers!! I have a crack at an Ampeg V4B reissue, 100w all tube! I use an ampeg SVT 410HLF Classic (4 ohms). I play in a punk-ish type of band with a drummer and two guitars. Guitarists use an Orange Tiny Terror and orange 2x12, and a 50w Rockerverb mkiii 2x12 combo. Wondering if the V4B with mentioned 4x10 will keep up or if an svt 3 pro is better.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!!
    Also feel free to give us a listen...

2. pbass2go

pbass2go

Dec 19, 2004
    Apple Valley, MN
    Personal experience, I owned a non-pro SVT III, which I loved. My brother owned a 3 Pro, which sounded ok to me. I would take the sound of a V4B over the Pro. It should keep up with a band situation. just my $.02

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What are you using now?
    Is your band loud?
    Do you prefer cleaner or driven tone?

4. JPKobane

JPKobane

Nov 23, 2015
    Hey Dave, band is pretty volume conscious. Like I said one guy uses a Tiny Terror (15w) and orange 2x12. Also, I put a link to our stuff for reference sound-wise!

5. JPKobane

JPKobane

Nov 23, 2015
    Thanks for the input!! BTW also a Pbass man here, have a Road Worn P that I dropped some Duncan Quarter pounders in. LOVE IT!

6. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    V4B over the 3pro would be my vote:thumbsup:

Dp1363, JPKobane and derekeugene like this.
  7. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    My vote would be the V4B as well.

Dp1363 and JPKobane like this.
  8. JPKobane

JPKobane

Nov 23, 2015
    Hey Guys!! My mistake it actually a vintage V-4B not the reissue. Does that change much?

9. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    A lot of weight I guess.

johnpbass and P-oddz like this.
  10. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Vintage V-4B (from my very short experience with one) will break up a little earlier/easier than the reissue. You might not find as much available cleaner headroom with the vintage. Again, that is my very limited experience with the vintage V4B.

Here's an excerpt from a review @tombowlus did on the reissue vs the original. Thanks, Tom. :thumbsup:

"The New Kid vs The Old Dawg

I was super eager to A/B this new V-4B to my old one, but before I dive into the comparison, I want to point out some of the unavoidable factors which keep this from being a true apples-to-apples comparison. First off, it is always difficult to compare a single-gain amp to one with both a pre and post gain control - especially without any kind of signal monitoring (there are no level indicators, and no clipping lights, etc. on either unit). Secondly, we are dealing with two different (though admittedly, quite similar) types of power tubes, and a different mix of preamp tubes. So, I can't even pull the tubes from one head to run in both, and try and level the playing field. That being said, getting both heads up to "gigging volume" through the same cab(s) while playing the same bass(es) still gives you some interesting feedback.

The newer V-4B was definitely more clear and articulate than the old one, and the vintage head was darker and beefier, and also smoother in the highs. However, the two heads were very similar in terms of overall fullness. I also noticed right away that the new head is just dead quiet in terms of noise, hiss and scratchiness (when turning knobs). Granted, my V-4B hasn't been serviced in a couple of years, but it's in very good working order. I guess when you play vintage tube heads, you kind of get used to a bit of extra noise (which you absolutely can't hear once the gig starts). It's only when you compare them directly to a unit that is so dead quiet that you notice the extra noise.

On the topic of noise, I observed that the new V-4B does not break up as quickly as you push it into overdrive. Of course, the two gain stages, versus one in the older unit, can make this a tricky comparison. And with those two knobs, I was definitely able to dial in a wider range of overdriven tones from the newer unit. But when I tried to get the new unit to yield a similar overdrive tone to my favorite out of the old V-4B, I found that I could get pretty close, but it required a lot more dialing in. Changes are much more subtle as things start to break up on the new head. Of course, once you dial it in to your liking, it should be relatively easy to recreate that same tone at a future point in time. Overall, these two heads are far, far more similar than different, and pretty much across the board, where I did hear differences, they actually favor the new kid."

tombowlus, High Camp and LeftyD like this.
  11. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I have the 3Pro and a reissue V4B. I would go with the V-4B, but you have to consider that the old head may easily need a $100 in a checkup and if it needs tubes or caps you are talking more money. You may know the history and know it doesn't need anything. But if you don't, and extra cash is tight you might want to ponder that a while. I think my RI sounds a little bigger in some unexplainable way.

The 3Pro is in the ballpark with the my RI tone-wise and is more versatile--but might not be much louder. I know it's got more watts, but the with my RI that thing is really loud when cranked. The 3Pro might be cleaner longer as the volume goes up. The 3Pro will also be less trouble as far as maintenance goes, generally speaking.

I the end I like my RI enough I'm selling my 3Pro.

12. V4B all the way.

Dp1363 likes this.
  13. V4B easily gets my vote. With that being said, bear in mind that the 410HLF is voiced for very low bass response, and that low response requires more work from your head. You'll want to look into a more efficient cab to really get the best out of the 100 tube watts. You'll sacrifice power and clean headroom with that cab.

That's my understanding, I could be spreading misinformation - so if someone understands the science better than I do, please break it down.

14. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    It kills me that guys constantly use expressions like "Compete with the guitar player" or "my amp against his amp". You in a band or just playing in the same room?

Manticore and wizard65 like this.
  15. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I really like the V4B - both the reissues and the originals. I think they sound great and they're louder than you'd expect.

That said, I bought my SVT 3 Pro used in around 1993 and it is a great sounding, super reliable head. I don't know how many gigs I've played with it and it has required zero repairs and almost no maintenance in almost 25 years. It's also got a much more flexible EQ than the V4B and I've gotten great tones out of countless house backline cabinets.

If it were me, I'd stick with the SVT 3 Pro as it's loud, sounds good and it's bomb proof, but you're really not likely to do badly with either one.

Bass 45 likes this.
  16. V4B.......All........Day..........Long

Dp1363 likes this.
  17. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    Really?

18. I agree. I own an original V4B and an SVT-410HLF. But, yeah, still get the V4B.

Me, too. Never been the way any of my bands have viewed the situation.

19. JPKobane

JPKobane

Nov 23, 2015

20. JPKobane

JPKobane

Nov 23, 2015
    Huh, I don't recall EVER mentioning "competing". I said keep up. As we know tube guitar amps like to breathe, and you need to get into the power section to full utilize the full potential of the amp. As well, bass frequencies require more power to retain the punchy sound we utilize. Thus my "keep up" comment. Guitar carries more easily to an audiences ears.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021