1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg v4b reissue problems.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkabilly, May 18, 2017.

1. Funkabilly

Funkabilly Gold Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Richmond Ky
    Im really tempted to buy a v4b reissue, because the SVT CL was the best amp I have ever played through, and I heard they are very similar in tone. My only concern is all the negativity Ive seen on the v4b reissue. Id like to hear from my favorite peeps. Hopefully Jimmy M cant shed some light too. If I can get that sound at half the weight, its a win/win. I really think I would be fine with 100 watts.

2. V4B reissue issues got sorted years ago.

3. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Don't know what negativity you are talking about. Had mine for a few years and it has been flawless.

4. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, not sure what negativity you are referring to?
    I may be a little biased because I love mine so much, but every thread I check into on the reissue, there are dozens of people singing its praises.
    Honestly, the majority of negative comments I see are from people having experience with vintage V4Bs or V4s and commenting on lack of clean headroom.

Like Tim^, mine has been flawless since I got it over a year ago.

BluesOnBass and SirMjac28 like this.
  5. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I honestly can't think of negative things with the V-4B.
    Sound, volume, performance, weight and even the looks...all good to me!
    What are the issues you are referring to, if I may ask?

BluesOnBass, SirMjac28 and jdubbass38 like this.
  6. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Mine works flawlessly--in addition to sounding great. The weight is nice too!:thumbsup:

BluesOnBass and SirMjac28 like this.
  7. Early ones were letting out the magic smoke but they sorted it quickly.

8. Funkabilly

Aug 11, 2015
    Richmond Ky
    Bad soldering, rattles, humming, dirty pots... most are good reviews, but the bad ones leave me wondering.

9. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Ah, must have been sorted quickly as you say. Cheers for that.
    Good old kiwi connection working together :thumbsup:

webmonster likes this.
  10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    IIRC that was an issue with a few amps that were built for 220V but routed for domestic/120V distribution at the warehouse. One dude ordered a couple from sweetwater before they figured out they were all from the same batch and got him a properly wired amp.

I recall the video that some guy did on youtube where he complained the amp was noisy. Most of the comments on the video were people saying they had no problems with theirs or they swapped a few tubes and it fixed their noise issues. I don't own one of the reissues but have played a few and they've all sounded great. Whiny guy on youtube was the only real complaint I've seen so far.

BluesOnBass likes this.
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    In general, there haven't been any issues. I can think of two cases where there was a case rattle, the odd bad tube, the units were replaced. Bad soldering joints and dirty pots are in the realm of vintage amps, not the reissue.

If you like the amp, I wouldn't be concerned about infancy related issues.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not that I ever heard. I've got a reissue from the very first batch and it's been great for 3 1/2 years now.

P-oddz, Aqualung60 and carsbybigd like this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I remember that dope with the hit piece video. Note that he ended up keeping his.

rodl2005, SirMjac28 and Tim1 like this.
  14. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Didn't you smack yours onto the ground soon after you got it? Takes a licking, keeps on ticking.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    JimmyM likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    A 3 ft drop onto a concrete floor, yep. Broke a preamp tube but was otherwise fine.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  16. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Crown does a drop test. It appears that they drop it onto a padded mat. And their amp only weighs 28 lbs. By contrast, you bounced your amp onto concrete and it weighs more. :laugh:

17. Do you recall when they first "re-issued" the reissue? I only ask because I bought one in 2012. Was that the first year? Never had a problem with mine, however.

18. Funkabilly

Aug 11, 2015
    Richmond Ky
    Thanks for the replies. I feel much better about the amp now. If i didn't need the money at the time, i would have never parted with the SVT. That tone is just nothing short of awesome! I think im gonna be happy with the v4b.

19. I have played both MANY times and honestly....the V4B does the job very well..100 tube watts is STILL 100 tube watts. I have never really had to push it in ANY setting. but it's nice to know that I could if I wanted to.

I have, on a couple of sound checks, turned it nearly all the way up and it was SCREAMING...So, bottom line, at least for me, it is more than capable.

BluesOnBass and JimmyM like this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The first of the current reissue heads came out in September or October of 2013, can't remember exactly, but most definitely fall of 2013.

Buster Brown likes this.