Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg V4B through 8x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StarchMan, Aug 3, 2003.

1. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Anyone ever try this?

2. rdkill

rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    My V4B came with two V9 cabs. Each was 9x10. I only used both once, they were WAY too loud. One sounded just great (no kickass lows, of course), kept up fine with a cranked 50 watt marshall halfstack. Damn, wish I had never sold that setup! Here's a photo from the web of a really beat V9 with the grill cloth off:
    [​IMG]

3. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    See, I can go get a used 8x10, or add a 2x10 to my 1x15 brand new. Hard choice.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    What kind of psycho recording engineer sets up cab micing like that!?! :eek:

He clearly forgot to closemic the speakers in the 1st and 7th position. That would sound like crap! Everybody knows you need to mic *every* speaker in a 9x10 if you want any tone. :D

5. rdkill

rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    I personally would add the 2x10. I got sick of moving that V9 around pretty quick - plus I missed the lows I has gotten from my earlier 2x15 plus 1x15 setup. That V9 sure kept the wax from building up in your ears - plus I think if you stood to the side and hit any note above the 12th fret you could light your cigarette in a pinch! ;)

6. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I COULD go with another 1x15. What you think?

7. rdkill

rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    Really depends on what kind of music you are playing (aka what sound you are going for). I think the 1x15 + 2x10 setup would be the most versatile if you are playing "modern cover" stuff. I personally don't "do" tens anymore :cool: .

8. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Hard rock my good man. Suggestion?

9. rdkill

rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    I'd personally go with another 15 but I think most people would prefer the 2x10 - all a matter of taste. If you REALLY dig the sound of brand new stainless steel roundrounds you'll like the 2x10. If you like the strings better after they are a couple weeks old or like nickel roundwounds or even flatwounds you might very well prefer another 1x15.

10. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Would the 2x15 be too muddy? I'll be playing a warwick lx 5'er through it. Looking for something ballsy with growl.

11. rdkill

rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    Depends on which cabs they are. My experience is that the larger cabs can be muddy. I prefer sealed cabs over ported for live work. They are inherently small and just can't get "boomy" as they aren't tuned. What model cab is your 1x15 ?

12. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Ampeg Classic SVT 15E.

13. rdkill

rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    Nice review of this cab here:
    http://www.bgra.net/reviews/ampeg-svt-15e-1-rvw.html
    I can't see how you'd go wrong with another one. Two stacked sound WAY better than one - and the top cab is high enough so you can hear what you are playing MUCH better. The stack will sound crisper and more defined than the single you are using now. A little known secret of "sane" marshall full-stack guitar players is to just plug in the top cab - much less muddy that way. But for bass you want the floor coupling (usually). If you run two 1x15s side by side they can get muddy. I used to run a vertical 2x15 on my side of the drummer and a 1x15 on the other side of the drummer. Even with only a V4B it kept up with a fully cranked non-master Marshall 50, another guitar, and a keyboardist.

14. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I like a 4-10 with a 15. I think the matching Ampeg 4-10 cab is sealed. BTW, shouldn't they mike the ports on that V-9 also?