1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg V4B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brock Landers, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Brock Landers

Brock Landers

Mar 27, 2013
    I may have a chance to pick one up(magnavox era). What are some of you guys thoughts? This would be my first rig and plan on just goin 1x15 probably Ampeg. I am hooked on that old tone,but anyways thoughts on the amp would be great. I don't gig or play bands so don't Ned a lot of speaker. I figure 15 will give me that deep round tone. Thanks

2. "I may have a chance to pick one up(magnavox era)"
    Use your legs, not your back.
    Seriously, it will sound good no matter what bass cab you plug in.
    Just make sure impedance matches.

3. Brock Landers

Brock Landers

Mar 27, 2013
    Right on, he already sold it. I contemplated too long. Thanks for the reply though. I did find a b18n for 1k, is that a good deal? The v4 was local so that was a plus

4. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    You probably shouldn't get it, because if you do, its tone will spoil you forever like it did me. No other amp will sound better, IMO/IME.

I own a V4B (1973 Magnavox era, square black graphics), and I bought a brand new 4x10 cab for it which matches the amp PERFECTLY! I bought the cab from Fliptops.net. It's 27 inches wide (just like the amp), and the cups on the top of the cab fit perfectly with the rubber feet on the bottom of the amp. The grill cloth is also a perfect match with the original grill cloth on the amp. The cab is loaded with four Eminence B-810 drivers.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that a 15" driver will be deeper sounding than a grouping of tens. Speaker diameter and frequency response are not comparable.

I'm not affiliated with Fliptops in any way, but I am really impressed with the cab they made for me. And I didn't have to specify anything unusual or "particular" for the cab to match the amp. I just ordered it straight off their website. It's an 8-ohm cab.

Good luck, and have fun!

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Pretty easy to do with that 2-4-8 switch. :cool:

6. A fine bass head. It was a very long time before I let mine go.

7. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    That's common with V4B's. They don't stay for sale very long because they sound so dang good.

And the weight of the V4B is much more manageable than my 85 pound Ampeg SVT-II non-pro. I haven't weighed my V4B, but I would estimate it at around 50 pounds or so. The tone is worth it by a long shot, IMO.

8. Brock Landers

Brock Landers

Mar 27, 2013
    Yeah the tone from tubes is the only way for me. Would like a nice B15 but can't find one locally. I saw the next batch released by ampeg are 1k than the last batch. Damn they look sweet

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Could be a good price, depending on condition. Old tube Portaflexes have had a bit of a price resurgence since Ampeg brought out the Heritage B-15. Have not played the B-18n but Rob Grange used one to cut "Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent and it sounds awesome, so thumbs up!

10. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Sidebar: I learned my 3-finger right hand technique from watching Rob Grange when I was young and impressionable. :D

To the OP - a B-18 is a cool machine, but not as versatile or powerful as a V4B. If you want one bad enough, one will present itself.

11. The studio that my band is recording at next week has a 69' V4(not v4b). I'm bringing my Fender 300 Pro but I'm guessing the Ampeg will be what I end up using most.

12. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    The only issue I ever had with my V4B was 100 watts was not enough power through a 1x15 cabinet. Sounded great with a 2x15 though.

13. Brock Landers

Brock Landers

Mar 27, 2013
    Yeah I have always wanted an svt but do not need all the power since I don't gig. I am addicted to the tone though, can anyone blame me lol. I spoke with the gentleman who has the b18 and from the pics it looks sweet. Says the Tolex is all good and the cab was refinished. One transistor was replaced but he said everything else is good to go. I think I am going to go for this one @ 1k. Those portaflex old schools are too damn creamy and cool

14. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Odd
    I don't think there is a solid state device in the old tube B-18's but I could be wrong
    Is this a tube amp?

15. If it is not an all tube Portaflex $1,000 is way too much.

16. Brock Landers

Brock Landers

Mar 27, 2013
    It is all tube I typed wrong he said transformer

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    He's on Facebook. He'd probably enjoy hearing how one of his peers learned a technique from him.