Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg V4BH 100 Watt head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pike66, Jan 30, 2003.

1. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    Hey all.
    I own an svt classic head, but i'm intrigued by the new v4bh head. which is touted as the 100 watt version of the svt sound.
    It's all tube, so I assume the modest 100 watts would be sufficient for any gig. But, I'm just curious about actual user's opinions about the head. Anyone have experience with it? Thanks a lot.
    My svt classic and 410 cab give me such an awesome moaning tone, i just wish the v4bh is what i'm looking for also.
    --pike--

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    As an SVT-CL owner, I can certainly appreciate the weight of the V4BH.

I would like to check one out, but I've never seen one around.

3. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    yeah, the svt is a pain in the a$$ to gig with due to the weight. this isn't startlingly new news, but it's an issue. That's why I want the v4bh. I just don't want to compromise the moan of the svt's 300 watts.
    i don't know, i'm going back and forth in my head, but tyhe main concern is the weight of the head. 40 pounds kicks a$$. lol
    --pike--

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've owned the SVT-IIPRO (similar to the classic but rack mountable & a few other features, but you knew that. :)) & the V4B @ the same time & I liked the tone of the V4B But I never felt it would be enough for a gig. I'd have My SVT-2 @ the setting of the last gig & compare it to the V4B & it just didn't seem like it would cut it. :( So I never tried it @ a gig cause I didn't wanna NOT BE heard so I ended up selling it. I ended up selling the SVT-IIPRO also becasue of the weight issue & now I use an SVP-PRO & SVP-1500 & it's about 1/2 the weight of the SVT's & MEGA POWERFUL & I feel more comfortable gigging & banging aroung a Solid State amp, anyway. :)

5. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I own 2 from the mid 70's... gigging through an 8x10 with a bunch of mids and I cut through the band fine. I do not think they work well through anything else though, as my post about these states.

...I sold my 8x10 and I am sad now.

6. I have a V4 BH. I like the amp. It has a great tone and always sounds good. The only thing is that it's too clean for my taste. Even with the gain and master fully cranked, I can't drive the amp into clipping... which is a good thing if you want a clean sound of course. In comparison to the SVT CL it's a bit less 'thunderous'... but I never had problems being not loud enough, and I play rock... (I never understood why some people need more than a few hundred watts anyway :) )

7. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    the old v4b's do not have a gain...

8. I have both a V4B and a SVT but they're both early 70's models. The V4B has great tone possibly even better then the SVT (even though they're the same pre amp) but it does not have enough power for me to play even smallish shows. After about 6 on the master it just gets more and more distorted without any volume gain.
    As I said though, the tone is great, I use it for recording in my studio for a large number of bands that come in with solid state junk.

9. I don't understand why you are considering a V4 if you already have an SVT. I don't think the weight difference is that much, is it?

For most gigs, it's not enough power, though the tone is great. It may be enough power with an efficient 8x10 cab, but who wants to lug one of those around?

I'd keep the SVT and forget about the V4B, especially if it's one of the newer ones, which is sounds like it is. Mine was a 1971 one model,and it rocked, and I miss it everyday, but I wouldn't if I had an SVT.

My .02......

Mark

10. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    The weight difference is 80 lbs. versus 40 lbs. That is substantial, but it sounds like the V4 just doesn't have the power.