1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg V4BH--Should I?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnnycat42, Mar 31, 2009.

1. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I got a line on a Ampeg V4BH today for around $500. I have been using my Tech 21 VT Bass for recording and love the tone. I am thinking this might be a close match for duplicating these sounds live and I might be able to use it for recording too.

I currently have a GK700RBII with a GK Neo 15. It sounds great. The best I have personally found for the solid state world. It has alot of power too. I will have to give this up for the Ampeg rig. Not sure it is worth it. What do you guys think?

Am I giving up too much as far as headroom going from 480 solid state watts to 100 tube watts? Can I use this for up to medium-sized gigs? Is it worth $500?

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd say no, yes and yes - but it's your opinion that matters. Try it out and see. ;)

3. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I just purchased a V4B that shipped today so I say yes, do it. You already have a good SS head, now you just need a nice tube head to go with it.

I still plan on keeping my B1500 head for my SS needs. From the threads I have read most people say the 100 watt tube Ampegs can handle a medium sized gig.

4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've had good gigs and bad with mine.
    If you want to play loud with headroom and no distortion you'll need an effecient cabinet.
    My 2x15 with SRO's is good; TL606 not so loud.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The V4BH is one of my favorite amps, but to give up a rig that has volume, for one that is a bit shy on volume doesn't seem like a wise move. Now, if you could get it without giving up your current rig, that would be awesome. Tone baby, lots of sweet tube tone, but 100 watts isn't enough for me. I use a 6Pro and 215 with my band, and the V4BH is my home practice amp.