Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg V4BH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greendayjustin, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Hey does anyone know if the Ampeg V4B bass head would work well with the Ampeg SVT 810 E?

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    bump

3. who has experience with this rig?
    I would think the V4BH would mate up better with the SVT610.:bassist:

4. I was thinking about using that head with the 610 HLF too, but I was wondering if I could ever upgrade to an 810 E.

5. sharpcut

sharpcut

Apr 11, 2005
    Finland
    I was also wondering about this, any info?

6. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    works fine... not as loud as an SVT, won't have as much headroom... but it works fine.

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    You're not going to have the headroom a real SVT would give you, but you'll sound good...hell, you'll sound great. Have you tried it out? There are a couple of players on the HCBF board who use that rig & love it.

8. sharpcut

sharpcut

Apr 11, 2005
    Finland
    A bit of slip of from the matter at hand: which setup would you rather use?

A) A V4BH with an Mesa 2x12

B) A Marshall JCM 800 Bass Series with an SVT 810

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I would prefer the sound of "A"...that just personal taste. 810 cabs sound roary & mushy to me...

10. sharpcut

sharpcut

Apr 11, 2005
    Finland
    Do you remember their names?

11. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    I'm one of them.
    I use a V4BH with an SVT-48HE cab (4x8 w/horn, no longer available).

The V4BH would be an excellent match with the current Ampeg 4x10 Classic cabinet. With the SVT-15 cab, you have the equivalent of their re-issue B-15; add the 2x10 cab to that and you would have a very sweet rig.

An SVT would probably be a better choice for powering an 8x10 cabinet; it has more headroom.

However, there's plenty of volume and headroom from a 100-watt tube amp,and by using the V4BH DI'd into FOH,it can work for any size venue.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    IMO out of the two ampeg cabs I would pick the 810. I found my Ampeg V-4B works best with sealed cabs.

13. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Check a guy under the name Mike Fitzwell... :)

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    bergie 6x10 would be a very interesting pairing ... I wouldn't take the plunge until I heard it but I suspect it would be very, very good.

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yup, although i'd probably like the SuperBass into the 2x12, personally.

16. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    IMO it is very very good! :D

17. I prefer my V4BH through a pair of Bag End, rear ported cabs. Specifically an S12-B and an S15-B. Plenty of volume and tone for days.
    My regular band has a Mando/Fiddle/Guitar player, a lead player through a 20 watt Fender, a steel player running a pair of Fender Blues Jr.'s in stereo, a Hammond B3 through a 147-R Leslie, a rhythm player through a Marshall Acoustic model, drummer, and a percusion player.
    Most bar gigs only the percusion and vocals use the P.A., large rooms or outdoors we all go FOH at our usual stage volume and use in ear monitors.

If you want to lug it around a Classic 8x10 SVT would sound marvelous, very similar tone just not as loud as an SVT. Half stack 4x10 or 1x15 Classic cabs would also preserve the Ampeg sound for you.

Fortunately I play with players that love tone over volume, that's what FOH systems are for if you need to cover large venues and outdoor gigs.

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Problem with alot of tube amps is that you need volume to get good tone. :p

Yes I know tone is in the fingers, blah blah, you aren't going to get feedback with just your fingers, so shut up.

19. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    :p Yeah you sure wont get the tone I get out of my V-4B with just your hands.... :bassist:

20. :spit:

Gee, and this was such a nice friendly forum to read, sorry for peeing in your oatmeal.

I get all of the tube compression, break-up, and feedback if ever desired I need, we do play some tunes by The Who, using the V4BH these days.

As the oldsters say "back in the day", early '70's, I ran my 1970 Rickenbacker 4005, Ric-O-Sound split pickups into the most amazing stack for its time. An Acoustic 360, with two powered 18" bottoms, and a Marshall 100 watt bass head with two angled cabs, one on either side of the stage. But back then it was the only way to do it, but one sure did get your ribs rattled with that rig.

BEAR