Ampeg V6B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timibud, Aug 29, 2004.

1. timibud

Aug 29, 2004
    Howdy! I just got one rather cheap & haven't been able to Google up much info on it. Any body know a little about these amps? I noticed rok51 had one once. Solid state, 70's, 240 watts (4ohms?), that's about all I know, it hasn't arrived yet. THANX!
  2. I have one.

I got it at a Flea market for $100.

Unfortunately. It doesn't work... :oops:

But some other people here know more about them than I do.
  3. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Depending on what you have been using, it may be a step up. Mine was very reliable. Tonewise, it was limited to (to me) about three distinctly viable tones. I loved the design of the cabinet, which, to me, looked like two B15S cabs stacked and inverted. Extremely well made. I used to put mine in the backseat of my wife's VW Beetle! Unfortunately, in the venues that I played in, it was hard to find that 'sweet spot'-eq wise. There were certain rooms that I found the cabinet would essentially 'lock up'...I would have a standing wave in the low mids that would effectively cancel any increase in volume that I attempted. It did make more than enough money to pay for itself, new, many times over. Let me know if you get it. If you don't get the plastic covers that lock in the front and back of the head, I may still have mine (out in the yard for 20 years, lol!) that I'd be glad to donate to you.

PS, feel free to pick what's left of my aging brain...I would be more than happy to share what I know about your new score.
  4. timibud

Aug 29, 2004
    Howdy! I was hoping you'd see this thread. What I'm most curious about is the power output 'cause He won't part with the cab, says it sounds "beautifully dysfunctional in conjunction with an SVT & it's 8x10's"! For now it'll probably be pushin' an 8 ohm 15", my 2x10 has it's own 300 watts. I might use this as a pre-amp for it, I read it has sends for it, but the article was translated from German, & poorly at that! We see how it sounds. Any ohm select switches or other cool features of it's day? Thanx for your time! :)
  5. mtjames

Dec 7, 2004
    I have one that I use with a sunn power amp. I run my bass into the eq input on the sunn, then the 100w out to the low gain input on the ampeg. Weird setup, but it works well. I eventually decided I wasn't too happy with the tone and bought a GK. It's a good head though. I was running it with a svt 8x10 for a while, and it sounded fine.
  6. I am looking to purchase an Ampeg V-6B amplifier. Anyone interested in selling?
    Contact me at