Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Victor Wooten Model BXT-410XL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JRBrown, Aug 31, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Has anyone played this cabinet? Comments?

[​IMG]

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I haven't played through the 410 but I have played through the BXT15 cabs. Two of them together btw. They sounded great as I'm sure the 410 does.

3. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I love this cabinet. I tried them all from the Ampeg SVT series to Aguilar, Mesa, GK, etc. The BXT was the only cab that got it right to my ear. Lots of the famous Ampeg bloom, but not bloated and "single note syndrome" like some of Ampeg's other cabs. By "single note" I mean that a chromatic scale sounds like the same note. I used to have an Aguilar GS-112 and it was good up to low volume levels. I tried the Aguilar 212, 410, and hooking up another 112 with mine, but no setup had the fullness and gut-wrenching body that the BXT-410HL has. The tweeter in the Aguilar was annoying, and I had it turned off most of the time. The BXT tweeter is very sweet and subtle and quite usuable for a finger-style bassist like myself. Yes, it is heavy. It is not terribly bulky, however. I plan to get a dolly that I can strap it to and have no doubt that I can handle it single handed. It fits easily in the back of my Volvo station wagon. It will faithfully reproduce whatever is upstream in the signal chain. And with the proper amplifier will move some serious air. Seek one out. You won't be sorry.

4. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Please explain.:confused:

5. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    The GS-112 couldn't keep up with two guitars and a drummer in my R&B band. It just got covered up. A single 12" speaker has just under 38" of radiating surface. With a single 12" you are relying on 38" of vibrating cone to set the air in motion and amplify your signal. A 4 x 10" has about 125 1/2" of radiating surface. More radiating surface = more air being moved. Even 2 12" speakers have just 60% of the radiating surface of 4 x 10" speakers. All that being said, I compared the BXT-410 to the Aguilar 410 and to my ear, the Ampeg won hands down.

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I don't think anyone would expect a single 12" to stand up against two guitars and a drummer . . .

7. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    For me it was a case of semantics.

- I'm fully aware that a 12" speaker can't compete with four 10" speakers.
    - The sentence "...it was good up to low volume levels" had me confused. For some reason, it seemed as if there was a problem at low volume levels. If it had read "...it was good at low volume levels" I would have immediately understood.

:D

8. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    I own 2 BXT410HL-4 cabs. I use an SWR I.O.D. preamp and a QSC PLX2402. IMO they have a warm tone with good low end & smooth mids. I agree with the other posts, they're a bit heavy(122 lbs each) but I use a handtruck to save my back. I usually don't use the tweeters, I get plenty of high end definition from my basses. I play mainly 4-string basses fingerstyle.

9. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have 2 bxt4x10 cabs and in my opinion they are the best 4x10 cab Ampeg has ever produced ( at least for my playing style). The biggest drawback is the weigh 122lbs. But the lows,definition and overall character of sound does it, if your a funk r&b player