1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Vietnamese Cabs - Run away!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Baird6869, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Before anyone flames me, let me start by saying that I have always used Ampeg Cabs (20+ years) and likely will continue to so so for the forseeable future (or at least until I fry my American SVT 1x15 and two SVT 2x10's). I don't own any other brand of bass cabs.

Having said that, I tried out a couple of the NEW Vietnam built cabs and I am suprised at how bad the quality control is.:eek::confused: Example: I reached behind a 1x15 to plug in a speaker cable and when I pulled my hand from behind the cab... the plate (now a cheap sticker) listing the power info as well as the serial number was attached to my finger. It literally fell off in my hand after I just brushed against it.

I played a EBMM SR5 through an American SVT head through the 1x15 and it didn't sound right to me. No idea why. Just didn't sound as warm as my MIA Ampeg stuff. I tried a couple of these cabs and had I been just starting to consider Ampeg products, I would have walked away. Also, the construction seems a bit flimsy. It doesn't seem as solid as my gear (likely all built between 2003-2006). Different woods? Speakers?

I hate to say it, but the next new cabs I buy will be Bergantinos. Not a chance I would be caught playing this junk.:spit:

BTW, I am Canadian, so I am not just being patriotic and slamming a company for cutting jobs in the US and moving production to the far east.

In summary, if you are as much of an Ampeg fan as I am, buy as many MIA cabs as you think you may ever need. Or buy Bergs, Epifanis, etc.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Interesting. I haven't really paid much attention to the new imported Ampeg cabs.

Might have to go to the local dealer and check em out now, just to see how they compare to my US built stuff.

3. No one should flame you, we CAN talk about lapse in quality. Just not the actually act of moving production and I agree. Ampeg went cheap, the quality is horrible, and the fit and finish is bad. My local dealer has had to repair/replace 60% of the new heads he has sold that are imported.

I would recommend emailing Kevin Van Pamel at Loud with your concerns, I did.

Kevin.VanPamel@loudtechinc.com

He actually WANTS to hear your concerns, and will most of the time respond with a marketed answer. But at least it's something.

4. no one should flame you at all.... you said you been a user for 20 years... thats good enough for me atleast

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Are the "B" Series cabs Vietnamese?
    I am looking into the BSE115 and I posted about it earlier today, no one seems to know much about these...

Not to threadjack, but here's my post...you seem to know your stuff, maybe you can help me decide.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383168
    Thanks.

6. Thats not very encouraging.

7. Baird6869

I think almost all of the product lines are quietly being transitioned from US to Far East builds. Loud is likely hoping people won't notice any difference. The 1x15 I mentioned in the initial post LOOKS exactly like my mid-2000's SVT15E and I believe it is even called the same thing.

Put it this way, Loud isn't putting stickers on these things stating..... "NEW & IMPROVED!!! NOW MADE IN VIETNAM!!!":spit::D

8. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    I just recently bought a MIV Ampeg 410HLF, and I think the build quality is great.

Feels like a rock, everything is in place, haven't had any issues with it at all, and more importantly sounds like a Mack truck.

It's a better experience than i've had with 2 certain other MIA brands I've bought in the past.

9. Baird6869

That's good news. Hopefully the ones I tried were part of a small portion of lemons.

10. Are the new Ampeg Vietnamese cabs priced any cheaper? I can excuse crumby stuff if it's priced as such.

11. Baird6869

I think it was a bit cheaper. $50 maybe on the 1x15. Not much though.

12. realdeal

realdeal Inactive

Dec 10, 2004
    Not doubting the OP's experience or opinion; not a flame by any means- Maybe I just WANT to continue loving Ampeg-
    (My gear happens to be all SLM, btw)...

But- I'd really have to see a spec sheet, regarding the change in drivers and/or cabinet wood construction before I was convinced there was a change.

Assembly, whether done in the USA or China, Vietnam, Italy, etc. is one thing; but design and engineering, as well as spec'ing materials and components is another.

Have they (Ampeg) started using different drivers? Are the cabs no longer birch, I believe it was? What are the specs?

Again...not doubting the opinions. but there may be some knee-jerk reactions to LOUD's offerings.

Example:

People LOVED Schroeders big-time, then they found out that in some cases, there was a difference in cab construction. All of a sudden...they didn't sound so good??:confused:

I played through a B2RE not too long back; take off the "made in China" sticker, and no worries. Sounded and performed GREAT!

Here's hoping for the best for Ampeg....

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Watch the political commentary guys. I have already cleaned up one post and another one will cause the thread to be closed and a temp ban on the user(s) that are responsible for it.

14. I saw recently that a big bunch of new ampeg gear has reached México City, I will do a visit to the stores, let's see how they are.

I scored an American made SVT-VR and 8x10 fridge, I think I will never let them go, but i do hope LOUD meets within the time the needs of us bass players.

15. I don't know if anyone else can testify to this, but I own a MIA SVT-410 HLF (circa 2000-ish) that's missing enough tolex now to know that it is most definitely built from some sort of wafer/fiber board. Upon discovering this, I took out a speaker to find an assortment of lumber inside. The baffle is built from quality plywood. However, from what I remember, all the internal bracing looks like MDF or something similar. A buddy of mine has the same cabinet (produced a year or to later), and we found the same results. Anyways, I've been doubting the QC and material choice of Ampeg for a while now.

With that said, after almost 8 years, it works fine and still sounds great. I just definitely thought I bought a plywood cabinet (thats what I was told and read), not something I would feel like I'd have to take unnecessary measures to protect... It's hard trying to baby a 110 lb. cabinet out of that back of an SUV by yourself...

16. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Well, it is an 8 ohm cab and the SVT is not made to run at 8 ohms, only 4 or 2. Could be a reason why it sounded weird.

Not that I agree with what happened, but I did see some Ampeg stuff recently and couldn't tell the difference (classic series).

17. Without being disrespectful to the rules of this forum, I would like to point out that there is a thread in another forum addressing this where discussing the entire issue is not forbidden. You can find it here.

18. My local Ampeg dealer (of over 30 yrs) is no longer an Ampeg dealer, nuf said.

19. Thanks for the link!

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Don't drop your cabinet if you don't want it to crack! MDF is fine for cabinets that are not going anywhere, but if you plan to move it be VEWWWYYYY CAYRFUULLL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.