Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg vintage portaflex?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dadodetres, Dec 26, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    To be honest, that price looks a bit high, but I don't know too much on how much those amps go for these days.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    That price is very reasonable for such a clean specimen.

4. bassman1964

bassman1964

Oct 28, 2003
    I paid $800 for mine which is a 68, which has the black tolex, gray speaker cloth, and ampeg logo instead of "ampeg" on the front. That model is three years ealier, w/ the more coveted blue checked tolex, and in perfect condition (it seems). I would say the price is reasonable but if you can get him down go for it.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    how reliable can it be? how much should he expect in repair/upkeep?

6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    dadodetres, I have 2 very old B15's and they sound wonderful, particularly with Fenders. Round, thick and sweet! I paid $450 for the '67 and $100 for the '65. Neither needed any work at all, and both were all original. Only issue was the '65 grill cloth was gone and I replaced it. That was probably 6 years ago, and I don't know what current street prices are. You need to ask yourself what you plan to do with a B15. Both of mine stay in the house. Not sure on the wattage, but I think the 65 is 35 watts and the 67 is 50 watts. Either way they are both very low wattage and would be suitable for coffeehouse gigs or miked for recording. But don't expect a B15 to be useful for anything beyond very low volume gigs. For my gigs, even when using PA, a B15 wouldn't come close to providing necessary monitor volume. So consider your purchase wisely. I noticed on the one in your picture, there seems to be something going on with the right side transformer. Maybe something spilled on it? You should ask for details on the condition and originality, including the speaker.

As far as repairs, mine needed none. If you need a new transformer or other major part, you might not be able to find original parts...but you will be able to find modern equivalents at places like Fliptops.com.

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    thancks for the advice, i was thinking and the next amp ill get is somethin i can use in small pubs without miking, cause my swr doesnt fit in my car... :meh:

8. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    dadodetres, if you want a great tube sound with more wattage, and you like Ampeg, I would suggest looking for a used SVT-II: all-tube, around 300 watts, 6 band graphic eq which is switchable, direct out, selector switch for use with 2 or 4 ohm cabs.

or an old V4 or V4B, around 100 watts, selector switch for use with 2, 4 or 8 ohm cabs.

Both are heavy, but I'm a geezer and willing to lift them.

Either of these with a good efficient cab will be very good sounding, and flexible for different configurations.

9. It looks like the speaker cab is sitting in a metal box? If so, I would be hesitant to buying it... ... I doubt metal has the same sonic qualities as wood :rolleyes:

10. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Huh? It's a wood cabinet.

11. AG, look at the picture in the link. If you look at the corners it looks like someone soldered the corners together.

12. are you serious? Those are chrome corner protectors. lol!
    [​IMG]
    yes, I know this is a reissue, but the corners are identical.

13. I have a 1960's one, I love it. It's wood, not metal. I had to have a little work done on it and I got a grounded 3 prong added, but it's been very relable. It won't blow you away in volume, but I do keep up with a drummer with it. And, mine had a built in tilt back, very nice. It's the style that everyone used in the studio back in the day...whatever day that was :)

Happy New Year! :hyper:

14. Guys, look at the link to the actual one that dadodetres has to his original thread, NOT a picture of a regular one...
    ah, never mind. :rollno:

15. What's not regular about it? It looks pretty much like mine...except mine still has the clear ampeg plastic light up piece on the top... :confused:

16. The covering does look a little different than mine....mabey it's been recovered, but I doubt it's a metal box.

17. Trust us that actually own one. They are wood boxes with chrome corner caps. I can take a pic of my late 60's one (one I track with in studio) and I assure you, from the distance the pic was taken, mine would look identical. I can see where you're coming from, but it's not metal. The original ones don't have checkerboard diamond tolex, they have essentially a plain leather-look covering...

18. Yep, now that I look at mine, it's plain, looks pretty much like the one in the picture.