1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg VR USA vs Ampeg VR China

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Myth_103, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

Ok... I've never heard a GOOD reason not to buy the ampegs from overseas, but I found a FABULOUS deal on a VR from overseas. The owner had a USA made one also. He claimed that when run side by side he could tell NO difference at all. Anyone else had ANY experience with them? Just curious. $1200 sounds like a steal to me! Please get back soon! I'd be planning to purchase within the next week!

2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Sounds good, maybe you can get some chip clips and plastic eating utensils in the same box!

3. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I think the first generation of VR's from Vietnam were using parts purchased from SLM. But even if they weren't, I see no reason that the USA and Asian VR's would sound any different. I have heard of some reliability problems, but if it's running well now and the guy's had it a few months, it will probably run for a good while.

However, I have seen vintage Ampegs go for as good a price as $1200 if you can accept some wear and tear. So while it's a good price for a used VR compared to the $2000 it sells for new, I'd rather have an old one.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    That does seem like a pretty sweet price.

His USA - VR was manufactured and probably sold prior to the import.
    I wonder why he decided to sell the newer of the two...

5. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

Well.. I've definitely considered purchasing an early '70s SVT instead of buying a reissue, but I hear a lot of stories about them breaking down and costing a lot more for maintenance. Then again, I've never experienced one myself.:/ Besides, if I did get one, I could never afford to have a decent backup if it failed.

6. This statement suits your username.

7. mcdisease

mcdisease

Feb 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    So I just bought a new SVT-VR. Before I was playing through a mesa boogie buster w/ JJ tubes. It's a 1x15 combo and i used an ampeg 1x15 R100b. anyways buy that amp for that price. I wish I could have gotten an american version of the amp but honestly this thing sounds so dang great. i can play all my basses through it and it will sound good which wasn't the case for the buster. my basses are a pbass usa with nordstrand p/u, 62 jbass reissue stock, and a stingray w/ nordstrand p/u. the buster choked on the stingray---to much input. and it choked on the jbass --- to little input. so it makes sense to buy a 2000 head to be able to use $3000 worth of basses. :hyper: