Ampeg Vrs. Marshall

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I just need a quick answer, im guessing it will be a yes, but I need to make sure. Anyways, my guitarist is buying A Marshall AVT-150 and 412, will my SVT-CL and SVT-810 keep up with him? And what about our poor drummer and singer? What will they need to keep up. Figure we'll turn up so the drummer doesn't need to mic his drums.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Now some people, some people say that Superman will always beat Batman...I mean he's an alien with super powers, right? He's got those strong bulletproof muscles, and that heatray vision and of course that whole flying thing...and then there's the Batman. He's only a guy, one with killer training and good reaction speed and all sorts of gadgets that do funny stuff...BUT he's only a MAN. Well, I see that there's something more to this...Batman has more drive than Superman...he's willing to fight dirty to win, and not afraid to be a little messed up in the process. Superman on the otherhand, well, he's all about being fair and honest, he doesn't like to hurt people, in otherwords, he's just too damn nice.

So where does that leave us? Who Knows. All I say is that they both could kick the crap out of the Hulk, especially if it's the grey Hulk.
  3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

300tube watts and an 810 is quite loud. I don't have any experience with that guitar vs. bass amp setup, but it seems equally very loud for both.
  4. v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i'd have to say yes! i used a mesa 400+ through a 4x10 and a 2x10 (one of the cabs was a power sucking acme :meh: ) - it kept up fine with a 300 watt randall through 6 12's...... i'm sure with an 8x10 you should be more than loud enough to be heard.
  5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The AVT150 isn't that loud for a 150 watt amp. My guitarist had one, and my 60 watt tube sunn crushed it, actually. They also aren't that great sounding, and aren't the most reliable.

If you can't afford the SVT, then why not go with the Traynor YBA200? It's cheaper, lighter, and has a better warranty.

Just a suggestion.
  6. I'd say you'd be more than just fine.
  7. You really think Batman could "clobber" the Hulk?
  8. The AVT is solid state aye?
  9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Tube preamp, solid state power amp. So it's hybrid. The power section's very weak. Sounds tinny too, especially with the matching AVT412s. So yeah, it ain't that great.
  10. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I'll have to talk him into buying a Boogie 412 and a Rectifier of some sort than. What else would be a good 412 + Head for him? Besides a mode four.
  11. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ah... MArshalls.

My guitar player has an AVT150 with a Marshall 1960A cab, and I think it sounds awesome. However, he's tried the AVT cabs, and they friggon suck. The Head is loud enough to go out and gig with, and you can definately tell it from a full SS guitar head.... but its nothing like tubes.

My guitar player just bought another head though.... 70's Ampeg V4. :smug: We just dropped it off at a tech last night to get it retubed, and after that, it's gonna sound amazing. Only costed him about $500 for the Ampeg, probably under $200 for the retubing, and he's selling his AVT head for $500... so its a big upgrade that will turn out to be very affordable.

And lemme tell you, the vintage Ampeg heads RIP on guitar. I got a V4B last month and had him use it at practice, and that's where we got the idea to go tube for guitar as well... especially with the affordability. He only has to crank the V4B up to about 10:00, whereas his AVT was at about 3:00.

As for guitar cabs, everyone has their preference I guess. I love the Marshall sound for guitar... the Brits just do good things with amplification, IMO. A Marshall 1960 cab (which is one of the industry standard cabs) will go for about $650 new, but you can find tons of them used.
  12. check out the new Fender MH (metal Head) I hear that thing is rediculously loud!
  13. Nooo, nobody should know of its existance

A guitar amp should never be that powerful
  14. its still only solid state though - I'm glad they discontinued that 300watt all tube Crate, that thing was a monster!
  15. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    300 Watt all tube guitar amp is insane.

You'll have no prob being heard. I can get heard of 250 watt guitars easily with my trace on 200 watt. Even my Warwick 300 watter which was a soft 300 watt's (SS) could be heard over em.
  16. Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    300 Crate Watts= 45 Mesa Watts

Well, you get my point though.
    A massive Fender would be interesting.
  17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ugh, the Mode Four is just a louder version of a sucky AVT150. :spit:
  18. the svt and the 8x10 will be able to slay ANY guitar half stack...our guitarists were using full stacks with 100 watt tube heads cranked..and you could hear and feel me just fine....that rig got stolen...and i now use the sunn 300T and i think i like it better than the svt-cl...

i play guitar in a second band..i wouldnt recomend buying the marshall AVT stuff either..if i was going to play guitar through solid would have to be the old sunn or acoustic stuff..
  19. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    wow, I didn't know what, I thought marshall was like the Ampeg of guitar amps. Im not saying ampeg is the best, im saying its well known and alot of pro's use them, I know that means squat, just dont yell at me for saying that Eden fans. :)

I guess I'll make him to GC and have him check out mesa boogie stuff. I dont know if he'll want to spend that kind of money for boogie gear.

And your complaints with the Marshall AVT series are that they are to thin sounding?
  20. Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Oh pish posh, man!

Afterall, what was Doomsday except for a evil Hulk? You take the green hulk with Banner's mind in it (which was actually around for a while) and you'd have serious problems on your hands. Smarter than Batman and meaner than Sooperman.

Besides, Hulk SMASH!