Ampeg vs Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sheepdip, Jul 26, 2004.

1. sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    I was going to run a Ampeg STVCL thru my speakers I am building but in retrospect may consider the Aguilar DB728 instead only because the Aggie has a 8 ohm output and Ampeg doesn't. What are the Pros and cons of the two?
  2. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    8ohms vs 4ohms? Meh... I dont think there's a much difference until you get down to 2ohms... but thats just my opinion.

Besides... you practically have to sell your soul to afford a friggon Aguilar these days. :rollno: Save the money and get yourself a good used car :smug:

Or you can modify your speaker selection, if your willing to do that... and build a 4ohm cabinet.
  3. sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    :crying: There's more to it than just 8 vs 4 ohms. I have two spkr cabs, one with a 18 JBL 2245H an another with two 15 JBL D140F's. I'm not about to get new cabs. To run those with the CL I have to hook them up at 2.6 ohms, I don't really like running that low of ohms setting. The Aggie puts out 400W at 8 ohms and the ampeg 350 at 4 ohms. For the life of me I don't understand Ampeg's line of reasoning by not having a 8 ohm hook-up. You'r right about the cost of the Aggie, thats the only down side as far as I can see. :crying:
  4. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    The SVTCL can't run at 8 ohms? That's... odd.

I love my DB728... but keep in mind that it's just a power amp and it needs a preamp to go with it, which equals extra $$$. :(

It's a big investment, but the DB728 is a great amp, and it's worth it IMO.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    there's no risk in running the SVT at 8 ohms. It'll just make less power. Probably about 200W or so.
  6. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Why do you wont to run at 8 ohms anyway. One of the selling point on the SVTCL for me was that it'll do 2 ohms; I run a old SWR bigben and a MM two 12", both cabs are 4 ohms.
  7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Ok, first, the CL has a 4 ohm output AND a 2 ohm output. So yes you can run 2 ohms and not be a problem. The 2.6 ohms is a tossup, either 2 or 4 is a possibility. 2 is closer, but "looser", 4 is more of a mismatch, but "tighter", and less likely to have big transient spikes....

As far the logic of not having an 8 ohm tap......

When the SVT was designed, there was no point, since it took more speakers to handle the power. No 8 ohm speaker then was gonna take it. The 8-10 cab was a good match, and the intended match, for the SVT.

The 8-10 is 4 ohms, and 2 of them are 2 ohms, hence 4 and 2 ohm taps. An 8 ohm tap? Why? No-one can use it......

Now, fast forward to the re-issue and later. We had a choice.

We could yank out the heart of the unit, and decide to redesign it "for modern times".

Then the folks who like SVTs would really be screaming "you ruined that unit, you cheap-a$$ bastards". Probably wouldn't matter if it was the same except for the added tap.

But the added tap would change the unit, by adding more wire and fattening up the windings, etc. It would add about half again more turns to the secondary.

Who knows, as long as we were doing that, maybe we could get it cheaper by changing the steel, shaving out some turns or removing some core, it can't be THAT important....hey lookie at all the money we can save here! Maybe we can get it made in china for cheaper still....sure, that's good enough for the rubes....ship it!

Or we could leave it alone, and not mess with the good sound of success. That's what we did.

It's still made here, over the screams of the purchasing agents, because nobody else can make even this version as well as the original. You can tell, the copies don't sound the same.

Adding an 8 ohm tap would probably mess it about "CratePeg".......(yeah we know about that).
  8. sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    BUMMER! I didn't realize that.
  9. I have the Ampeg SVTCL and i have two 8 ohm cabs for normal use. I have considered the situation of connecting a 4 ohm cab to the 8 ohm cab making 2.6 ohms total. The 4 ohm cab will be the new Schroeder 1210 and im concerned about the mismatch of ohms. Should i set the head to 2 ohms or 4ohms, which will sound best and cause least worry to the tubes and transformers etc.

10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I REALLY like the SVP-CL tube preamp that I have. It works best with non-class H switching power amps and has the guts of a classic SVT. You could get that pre and use it with a power amp of your choice for 16 ohms, 2 ohms, or anything in between.
  11. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

I'd forget about all of it.... keep one cab and forget the other. Make a choice on which one to use... or else make your choice based on if wanna run at 4ohms or 2ohms. In the end, it'll be a ton cheaper than taking the Aguilar path.
  12. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Since your in the mood to spend a fortune on speakers you might as well go all out and get an SVT810 or two SVT410hlf's. The hlf's would allow you run at 4ohms w/ one cab and then at 2ohm w/ both for an extremely loud, low end..provided you have a truck with a lift gate to transport them.
  13. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah. Everyone seems to love the 8x10, despite its impossibility of transport. It's like the CL's Soulmate.
  14. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Why is that? Are you refering to the pre working better with amps that have a lower input sensitivity? If so then its not related to the output stage of the power amp.