Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg vs. Ashdown? Combo style....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'm looking for a new combo amp to replace my old Ampeg BA-115. I want something with at least 2 tens and 150 watts. I was looking into the Ampeg BA-210 and the Ashdown Electric Blue 150-210. Anyone used these amps or have any knowledge about them either way??? Do you know any outstanding combos under 700 bucks? I play a Music Man Sterling and an MIA Jazz 5 and I wanted something a little tighter and smoother than a 15.

2. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i prefer a 12" combo over a 2x10 or 1x15. i've had swr, ampeg, peavey and ashdown combos and the ashdown EB 12 is wonderful. easy to transport, loud, tight, smoov, you name it. i love this amp! got it new for $300

3. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I don't know, after having a 1x15 I really want two small speakers, but then again, I've never really played any 1x12's except an Eden which couldn't handle the B string on my old Warwick and farted out all the time, which I thought was weird for such an expensive amp. Anyone played the GK 400RB/210 combo? It's a little pricy, but I've heard great stuff about their amps.

4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The GK sounds great and the tilt back feature is pretty nice. Note that it's 280W and 150W into the internal speakers which fits the bill for your requirement. It's a bit more modern sounding than the Ashdown/Ampeg choices, but it's a nice package.

5. jammoore

jammoore

Mar 28, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Personally, I like the Ampeg BA210, but I'm an Ampeg guy. They are solid and I really love their sound.

Interesting that you mention Warwick. I used to be a Warwick guy and played all vettes and a CCL. I only kept the CCL for a short time, It could not handle the B string...still love the basses.

6. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    yeah I had a Warwick Streamer Std. 5 string but I got tired of it's weak, really limited sound. But I still love their active basses, especially the SSII and Streamer Jazzman. How was that CCL?

7. jammoore

jammoore

Mar 28, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The CCL was a great $500.00 amp, but kinda sucked as a $1300.00 amp. If you are strictly a 4 string player and really only play jazz, it's really awesome. If you travel below E and really "intense" music, stay away, it just can't do it.

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    There's 2 versions of the CCL. a 2x10 + horn 180w, with extention speaker out. And a 1x15 + horn 250w, without extention speaker out.
    I bought a 5 string thumb at the same time as the amp, so I went for the 1x15 version.

Mucho happy.

The 2x10 version had no balls on it's own and couldn't handle the low B. Hence the extention out for say, a 1x15 cab. Tho I was told by the warwick distributers at the Birmingham NEC music live show, I made the right choice. Because the 2x10 is lower powered, even with an extention cab, it wouldn't really be any more powerful than my 1x15 model.

Anyhow, If I am struggling to be heard, I just take a DI out from the back of the amp. Sounds fine. (In fact, Mr Rob Balducci commented how great my tone was at a gig a couple of weeks ago, when we supported him. which made me a very happy bunny

9. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I just tested the Ampeg BA-210 and the GK 400RBII/210 and man oh man, does that GK sound awesome!! It totally transformed the sound of my Sterling! And it was sooo smooth, I'm hooked, I can't even think about the Ampeg anymore, the GK's sound was so much tighter and smoother. Then again... the Ampeg I was playing was kind of beat up, I'll have to try it out again elsewhere to be sure. By the way, where in the midwest can you try those Warwick combos? I've never seen them anywhere but it seems like every place around has a Warwick bass or three. The worst part about testing is the insane GAS you suffer afteward;)