Ampeg vs. Behringer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pilgrim, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I just spent some time at a local Guitar Center plunking around on an Epi T-bird, and had the chance to do an interesting comparison.

The bass was plugged into an Ampeg B2RE head feeding what I think was a B-115E (single 15) cabinet. I played it for a few minutes and it sounded really nice! (I made sure the EQ was set flat so it would sound fairly natural.)

Then I noticed that there was a Behringer BX-4500H head sitting on the cab next to it. That's the amp I have at home, so I was immediately curious how that head would sound connected to the Ampeg speaker.

Would I hear any difference between the heads using the same cab and bass?

Answer: No difference I could hear. I set the Behringer head 's EQ flat, and to my ear it sounded just the same through that Ampeg cab. Interesting! The volume was moderate, but it sounded just as nice.

And man, that Ampeg speaker definitely sounded good.
  2. Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    There's a reason for the price tag. ;)
  3. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    i'm not too surprised that Behringers top of the line & Ampegs cheapest head sounds similar :meh:
  4. Behinger is slowly and steadily closing the solid state head gap as far as sound and build.
  5. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    BX4500H - Far from there 'top of the line'

their power amps are 'top of the line'
  6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

At low volumes and flat EQ it is easy to have an acceptable sound. The speakers will have much more effect than the amp, as you noted!
  7. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    hello,,, wake-up,,,, the OP is NOT talking about power amps here, at that's NOT what i read anyways

& seeing how Behringer has only put out the BX3000 & the BX4500 to date, I WOULD call that THEIR top of the line HEAD

please go back & re-read the OP :smug:
  8. +1 There stuff is getting better little by little.
  9. Umm, your Wrong.

Behringer BVT-5500h
  10. gloveskates

Oct 2, 2007
    Yeah exactly lol
  11. They are both made overseas. Probably both made in the same type of factory... The price difference sure is astounding, tho! Got to hand it to Behringer for passing on the savings to the customer, unlike ampeg. All their stuff is still just as expensive as it was when it was still made over here. I LOUD execs are able to sleep at night.

And Behringer power amps are *not* top of the line, IME.
  12. 3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Doesn't it depend on when it was made? I was under the impression that only 2007 and newer Ampeg was made overseas.
  13. anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Maybe the BX-4500H was reverse-engineered from the BR2E...
  14. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    scuse me,,, as i really don't keep track of their offerings :rollno:

i'm done with this one... peace out
  15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    There's no evidence that it's any different than the BX-3000H, as they changed their power rating schemes when they introduced the BX4500H.

I think some pictures of the innards of these amps would answer a lot of questions. I am waiting for one of these amps to show up on my local Craigs List for this purpose.
  16. I have a behringer BX4500H, and I love it.

Couldn't ask for a better sounding amp for 160 bucks. My boss limiter/enhancer helps out a bit too.
  17. [​IMG]

I brought this up in another thread a few weeks ago....I played them side by side at a store recently and i had a really hard time telling them apart

somebody brought up the fact that a big wig over at Ampeg is now employed by Behringer and that this is not an

probably rolled off the same assembly line (sure would like to see the guts in these amps side by side)

The Behringer goes for $350.00 on average were the Ampeg goes for around $700.00 give or take...

If i was a Newbie and could buy this head and a 4x10 cab for what ampeg wants for the head alone, guess which one i would buy?
  18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

OK, here's something that may tip some people: the Behringer head is on sale at Guitar Center for $179. I can't think of anywhere else you can buy 450W of power for that price!

After messing with those amps at GC, I did some homework and confirmed that both amps are rated at the same power. I do note that the volume was moderate, and that probably has a great equalizing effect. However, based on that test, I'd sure put my money into the speaker rather than the head. (And BTW, the BX 3000 doesn't look like the 4500 and has very different online reviews - the post asserting they're essentially the same amp doesn't ring true to me at all!)

My cab at home is a Peavey BX115 with an Eminence speaker in it. Doesn't sound quite like the Ampeg cab, but it sure doesn't sound bad. First thing I did when I got home was to fire it up and compare to the Ampeg speaker.
  19. that is an un-advertised in store special ($179.95) i noticed a salesman last week when i was in there trying to push that head and cab off on a newbie who had just bought his first squire bass. i would imagine they are trying to sell out of them to make room for the new line of heads that are about to hit...but yeah you pair that up with the Ultrabass BB410 1200W 4x10 Bass Cabinet and for around $450.00 dollars you have a gigable rig

also in case anyone is curious Uli Behringer just inked a deal with Wal-Mart to sell select guitars, basses and amps as well as a few other goodies...
  20. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I'm not sure if anybody knows, or can disclose if there are, or what are, any licensing agreements between companies. This happens all the time in other industries. So while products from different companies are compared, it's fair to ask either company if they are aware of the other product or have any relationship to it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to this story than just how things look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.