1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg vs Bugera? Heads? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cavesinger, May 12, 2010.

1. cavesinger

cavesinger

May 12, 2010
    san diego
    So i've been borrowing my friend's GK backline 600 and running it through an Ampeg svt410he. It's always been plenty loud but doesn't give off much vibe and could sound a little better. I'm looking to get something with at least a tube pre in the 300-600 dollar range. I've looked at the bugera BVT and the lower end ampeg svts, hartke's, ashdowns, as well as old fender bassman heads and old ampeg V4bs etc...does anyone have opinions as to what would be the best? I know bugera is releasing an all tube SVT copy in the 6-700 dollar range, but i'm not sure if i should go with one of the lower end rackmountable tube pre heads or just sack up and save for something all tube. I play in a folk rock band but we just added another guitar player and have been playing bigger shows so i need a good amount of power. I really like the james jamerson sound (but my b100r isn't loud enough for most gigs) and i also like the paul mccartney and kings of leon bass tones....any ideas on something vintage thats cheap and tube? or does anyone know about the all tube Bugera head?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Part of your problem, is your amp is running at 8 ohms, (less power), than it would if run at 4 ohms. That would mean either adding another 8 ohm cab to what you've got, or selling what you have, and buying a 4 ohm cab. As for Behringer, or Bugera, I personally would avoid those low-end entry level amps, and save for something that'll not only sound better, but last longer. The "B" brand is notorious for failing. But, try running your current amp down to 4 ohms, it might be all you need.

3. I would say stay away from the B word as much as you can!

4. cavesinger

cavesinger

May 12, 2010
    san diego
    Would a vintage bassman be able to run the ampeg SVT 410HE? And would the 410he blow out with an SVT CL?

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    An Ampeg V4B would sound wonderful with that SVT410HE.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The SVT runs at 2 or 4 ohms. The SVT410HE is 8 ohms.

7. cavesinger

cavesinger

May 12, 2010
    san diego
    If only i could find one of those V4B's or the V4BH even...

What have you guys heard about the ampeg svt 200t? i've heard only good things about it but have never used one myself

8. I love my Bassman/215 rig, but my guitar player has a V4 & Sunn 412 and the Bassman 135+215 can't keep up. That said, the Ampeg 410 is probably more efficient and has more speaker so you might be OK with that setup provided your guitar player doesn't have a 100W+ tube head half stack. There's also the Traynor YBA200 that's in your range.

9. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
    I have the same rig. Backline 600 into an SVT 410HE. Sounds pretty good, but as was stated, you're not getting full power to the 8 ohm cab.

Went looking for an SVT head and finally found a V4BH on Craigslist ($650). What sold me is that it can be switched to run at 4 or 8 ohms. 100 watts of tubey goodness. Sounds fantastic.
    [​IMG]

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You are kidding right? Ampeg versus Bugera?

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Both are made in China.

12. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I beleive there is a v4b for sale on the classifieds right now.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

Yep, and although any Ampeg that I would ever buy would be an old St. Louis Music, American made model, I have to point out that Ampeg's overseas models have FAR less QC issues than Bugera.

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Don't be fooled into thinking an actual tube pre gives you some magic tone. Old recording had old mics, old style speakers, tape saturation, and producer ears in the mix. It can't all be attributed to one single thing.

You can't blame GK lack of one of something you think you're missing.

Go out and try many amps, be objective and see if your mind isn't playing games with your ears. Buy from places that let you try them out for weeks on gigs and rehearsals.

15. And your probably listening to it with your I-Pod, not a tube in sight. You may need a different cab, surely a second 8 ohm cab to go with what you have. The V4-B is not going to boost volume over what you are using now (before anyone says it, yes owned one for over 20 years).

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    while seamonkey and b-string 2 are essentially right that there's way more to it than just the amp, there's also a huge reason why tube amp lovers love tube amps. and it has nothing to do with your mind playing tricks on you. so if that's what you want, go for it.

but get an ampeg and not the bugera. bugera = behringer = crap. i just heard that the idiot who used to run loud and nearly brought them and ampeg down the sewer now works for behringer and the bvt is his project. stay far far away from him and that amp if you know what's good for you. you can get a used svt for pretty close to your target range if you're patient and willing to accept cosmetic problems.

17. I must respectfully disagree.

If your on a budget there is nothing better than a company like Bugera.

If it breaks they will fix it, no questions asked.

I have 2 vintage Ampeg's and a Sunn 300t.

I love each of those amps, but, the one who sees the most action is my Bugera 1960, Bugera hit a home run with that amp, plus they have had little to no problems with the 1960 unlike some of there stuff...

18. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    +1
    Unless you play a 5er. The 410HE doesn't handle the B string very well at all IME/IMO.

+1

And I must disagree with this. A high quality used amp would be a better option and many are available.

If you want tubes and a fair amout of power then the Traynor YBA-200 or Peavey VB-2 are great choices and go for 500-600 used. I've been playing a VB-2 for a few months now and I am very pleased.

Also keep in mind that getting the right cab is extremely important to your sound as well.

19. TheEnthBass

TheEnthBass

Apr 9, 2010
    Connecticut
    I picked up a 73 Ampeg V4B in very good condition for around 400. It is one of the best amps I've ever played through and they are definitely around for reasonable prices. Comparing it's tone to most of the new ampeg svt pros i have played I much prefer the old V4B and I got it for a lot less than the SVT line is going for. All tube, heavy as all ... but it sounds great and it is also capable of switching between 2,4, and 8ohms which is nice. Mine was modded to get a cleaner sound by removing the fx loop aparently the tubes that drive it create some noise due to their being located in close proximity to the input jack. Sometimes vintage goes cheaper than new especially if you don't mind a couple of scratches and worn vinyl.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    a 73 v4b with an effects loop?