1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg vs Bugera? Heads? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cavesinger, May 12, 2010.

1. TheEnthBass

TheEnthBass

Apr 9, 2010
    Connecticut
    @ JimmyM my bad maybe it's the preamp ins and outs that were removed for that purpose. I've never used either on any amp so they may as well be the same to me. extra holes to reduce heat. There is also some question on the year and whether it is a franken-head of sorts. The cover, white rocker switches and the orginal owner point me towards 73, but an amp tech says he found parts which would indicate late 60's. I just know it underwent what the tech says was a "clean mod" before I purchased it. I'll have to take a look at the back again and see which holes I'm neglecting lol.

in other news... with all due respect

I dont think the purpose in a tube amp is volume. however the V4B can be used at the correct ohms for that cab which will produce more volume. There is no question that tubes create a specific tone which would be why everyone either uses tubes, tube preamps, tube screamers etc. If that is the sound they want. Solid state rigs can sound great too but they dont sound like tubes.

Comparing listening to an I pod and the sound of a live performance seems a little off doesnt it. In fact when I think about it, ipods kind of sound like crap over all i certainly wouldnt want anything I played off of that to be my tone.

even if I'm listening to someone whose tone I idolize they sound like trash on the ipod in comparison to what they actually sound like.. not really a valid comparison

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Exactly, with the iPod everything is run through the same "filter", so everything will sound "equally different" from its live original state.

3. There is not much difference in these amps, all of them are made in a cost effective manner. Why not buy something new, with a warranty, for what it costs to get something used?

4. 40 year old ampegs are still selling for twice the price paid new......i'm confident that a $700 tube amp from bugera will not be around 40 years from now,unless it is holding open a door somewhere

5. I doubt 90% of modern amps will be around in 40 years...

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    both of you could be right, but i think somewhere in the middle is the correct answer for both. as a tube amp heavily based (i hesitate to use the word "stolen" but i think it's probably appropriate) on the svt, i would think the bugera would be as easy to fix as any tube amp, but behringer is so shady and operates just within the bounds of the law as not to get sued again that i wouldn't trust them as far as i could throw jaime engen...and i'd like to throw him ;)

good price or no, i see no reason to deek around with inferior clones.

7. IMO the best new amp on the market is the Bugera 1960... That amp does sound like a plexi, but it has it's own tone.

I can't speak for any other products, but, I for one am very impressed by the 1960...

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Flip a coin.

9. cavesinger

cavesinger

May 12, 2010
    san diego
    you use the 1960 head for bass?

10. Sure Do, If you like the who it will nail johns tone (Many other vintage tones too). I use it with big cabs, so volume has never been issue. I can't get the amp to break up on normal volume levels, so I use a pedal...

Like I stated before, I have a few other tube amps that are held in very high regard and the 1960 sees more stage time.

11. cavesinger

cavesinger

May 12, 2010
    san diego
    i'll have to look into that, entwistle had great tone, it looks pretty cool too!

12. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Can you solder? Weber has a nearly SVT clone kit (if you use the right output tubes) for $750.

I wouldn't recommend this if you've never built anything electronic, though.

13. I used the "I Pod" specifically as so many here point to an MP3/MP4 from U-Tube or elsewhere. Not as compared to live sound. Are you saying you can hear no difference between the bass equipment used from a compressed audio sample? Faithful reproduction no, but you can't hear the difference from a B15N and a Hartkie stack? Really? Why then even mix a direct and miked signal in a studio (usually recorded with "Solid State" equipment)?
    My very well tuned V4B was no louder than the SS that replaced it. You may think the tube amp sounds louder at the source but it carries no further than the SS and that is the test. Watts are watts, how you perceive the work done by them is a different matter. Do they sound different than each other yes, not disputing this point. If one is louder than the other....that depends on how "real" the ratings are and the amp design.

This part is not a troll! IME/IMHO 99% of the "tube sound" is from the preamp. The 1% difference from the amps output is not going to heard by even the end of the stage, much less by your mike stand. That is my opinion after 40+ years with sound equipment.

14. I wouldnt care about any warranty Bugera offers. A warranty isnt gonna save your bacon if your amp dies mid set. I have seen lots of B gear die onstage. It seems their stuff will do fine in rehersal spaces, but the heat and humidity of stage life eats those things something fierce.
    Bassmans are not famous for ear shattering volume. They get loud on guitar, but are not really up to the job of modern bass duty.
    Used GK 400RB or 800RB heads are killer. Used Mesa gear can occasionally be found in the sub $800 range.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    having owned and played through many amps with tube preamps and solid state power, i completely disagree. does it make a difference to anyone but me? no. but it makes a difference to me. even if they can't tell, i can. that's enough.

16. I respect your opinion as well JimmyM (if that was the intent?) :) Even if it wasn't :D

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i respect you a lot, bro. you know that. i just disagree with you on the tube power amp thing.

18. We're cool Bro! You've even seen me tell newbies to the bass world that they have to try both and make their own decision. It's a personal thing no written word can do for you.

19. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    I have to try a hybrid head. I go back and forth between two SS GK's and an SVT. I love all of them. I see both points about each. Something about the SVT is fuller/more round, but the GK's are punchier. GK's have always been MY sound, but I do love that air movement coming from the SVT. Hard to understand really about perceived loudness. My bandmates complain when I run two GK's, but not when I run one with the SVT. Seems like a SS pre/tube power would have caught on somewhere. I know Bugera is considered lower line, but I am def interested in hearing that tube head, simply for the price difference. Also the Peavey VB-3. The Orange Terror Bass sounds good in online clips, but haven't heard it in person, or the GK Fusion.

20. The Fusion 550 is my new wife.