1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg vs Bugera? Heads? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cavesinger, May 12, 2010.

1. Man you are smoking something. I have played dozens of amps in the last 30 years and tube power sections indeed make a HUGE difference. If you never drive a tube amps power section very hard you can be forgiven for not hearing the difference.
    For those of us that do run our amps a bit hard it is a very significant part of tube amp tone.
    I actually like to run my pre just barely dirty, and get most of my grit from the output stage. It sounds a lot bigger that way to me.
    There is also that output transformer squish that no solidstate amp I know of can do. Even with a tube pre, sansamp or a compressor.

2. Your going to have to clarify if you are talking bass or guitar. Overdriven output tubes do not sound pleasant with bass to me at all. Transformer "squish"? Are you talking about saturation, no I have never run a bass amp with an under rated output transformer that saturated before the tubes went into grating distortion. I need to balance my volume with the rest of the band without driving customers out the door and the bar owner kicking us out.
    If you are talking about the sweetest sound of an SE 6V6 Fender Champ with guitar then yes I can agree. Marshall EL34's aint bad either, but you have to risk using a power brake or not get any more gigs?

3. I can tell this too Jimmy, Have done so for YEARS now, back in the late 80's when EVERYONE (around my area anyway) seemed to be using Trace or Hartke amps & getting a (IMO) AWFUL "clanky" -middy/treble 'bass' sound :spit: I was using my old 70's tube PA amp to great effect.
    Then in the late 90's early 00's - ppl told me hybrids had the SOUND of an tube amp with the weight & reliability of a S.S. amp........ Blah blah.....
    I STILL told anyone who's listen - a ALL tube amp- with T U B E POWER section FEELS & sounds different to me. I like it & I'm sticking with it! ;)
    I STILL feel the same!!!
    Now to the OP. I'd 2nd the 2nd hand V4/B/BH or (new or 2nd hand) Traynor YBA200 or Peavey VB-2 route. I had an Ampeg V4BH - loved it!! But after grabbing a Traynor YBA200, I just wasn't using it, so sadly the V4BH had 2 go.
    I'd TOTALLY recommend going for a YBA200, VB-2 over a Bugera 1000 times over.

4. Can you name off each individual Bugera amp that you have seen die on stage? I have seen all matter of high end gear die on stage (Ampeg Hybrids & Mesa Boogie Hybrids being the most noticeable)

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I have similar feelings about my Aguilar DB750.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    hey, if you like it, rock it proudly, bro. but i've seen a lot of behringer stuff crap out in my day, way more than ampeg and mesa put together. so it doesn't give me warm fuzzies about bugera.

7. Im not trying to hate on anyone, but at times I do wonder how many people "ACTUALLY" witness amps braking down on stage, any amp can have troubles, that's why I take 2 (Usually the V4B and Bugera 1960 small shows, Sunn 300t and SVT on big shows)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    well obviously we don't witness every single incident, but i know enough people who have had bad experiences with behringer where i have no interest in them, and the stuff i've heard of theirs has always sounded poor compared to the actual stuff they're copying. bugera might be a different story, but behringer's history has me n/i.

9. Behringer and Bugera are made by the same company, but, i view them as ampeg to crate. I think price conscious people really need to give them a shot...

10. Who cares whether it breaks down on stage or at practice or at home or anywhere? Sure it's more embarrassing to have something break on stage but either way you have to pay for the repairs or get something new. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd buy a new Ampeg head aside from maybe the VR, but I know for sure that I won't buy a Behringer or Bugera head unless they make a Hyundai-like rise to prominence over then next 10 years.

11. I agree, I went out on a limb due to having some extra cash, and ended up being blown away by the Bugera 1960. More folks need to try it out, not buy, just give them a shot. They had A LOT of QC problems with other amps, but, The 1960 is a diamond in rough as they say. It is such a simple and pure design, that nothing can really go wrong with it. Plus you can use it just for parts if wanting to build an amp...

I am also brand conscious especially with cabs, I prefer Ampeg and want that sealed cab sound, but once again that's just me. Nothing sounds as good as a square back 810 in rock music (IMO).

I also really like Peavey 412TXF. It just has a pillow of low end that can't be topped playing finger style dub / reggae.

Peavey's 412TXF is not a contender for an old Ampeg 810 in the world of rock and roll.

12. it's a sad day for Ampeg when SLM era amps become highly sought after....

13. I haven't witnessed any "b" amps failing, but I have witnessed a lot of their other gear failing on stage, in studios etc. There is no free lunch. You get what you pay for. Cheap gear IME is a lot less reliable than more expensive gear. If I was trying to buy a bass head on a budget I would go used mesa, GK, Sunn, old traynor and acoustic. New on a budget? Forget tube amps, get an 800rb.