Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AMPEG VS CARVIN (Full Stack Selection)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Feb 2, 2001.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I beg to everybody to help me choose between this 2 rigs:

1)THE AMPEG RIG:
    -Ampeg SVP-PRO Tube Preamp
    -Ampeg SVT-410HE 4x10" Bass Cabinet (8 Ohm 400Watts RMS)
    -Ampeg SVT-115E 1x15" Bass Cabinet (8 Ohm 200Watts RMS)
    -Carvin DCM1000 Power 1000Watts@4ohm(225Watt/Channel @8 ohms)

2)THE CARVIN RIG:
    -Carvin R1000 Bass Head (1000Watts@4ohm/225Watt-Channel@8ohm)
    -Carvin RL410T 4x10" Bass Cabinet (600Watts @8ohm RMS)
    -Carvin RL115 1x15" Bass Cabinet (600Watts @4ohm RMS)
    *Optional (Instead of getting the RL115)
    -Carvin RL118 1x18" Bass Cabinet (800Watts @4ohm RMS)

Suggestions, feedback, user experiences, testes, everything is welcome.
    I have No oportunity to test those rigs, but Im definitely gonna get one of those. Also I would like to know other setups in the same price league of the Ampeg.

Thank you all in advance.

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    See my reply to your post in the other thread (Carvin RL210). Of the choices you gave, *I* (meaning for *my* preferences and budget) would lean toward the Ampeg speaker stack. I suspect they are more efficient than the Carvins; although their power handling is not as good, you won't need to put as much power into them as you would the Carvins to get the same output. That is all guess work on my part, because I've never played through an Ampeg; it's just based on specs and my experience with Carvin and other speakers.

I wonder if this is a new word for "balls". ;) I bet either rig will have plenty. Okay - now I'm going to bed! Sorry!

- Mike

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'll try to back up what I said in the other thread also. Either rig is going to be great so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. If it were me and I could afford the Ampeg I would go with the Ampeg rig just because I love the Ampeg tone. That being said the Carvin rig is going to be a lot less expensive while still giving you quality. You could use the extra bucks to buy effects, or maybe even a combo amp to haul back and forth to practice. whatever. Not being an amp or speaker expert but knowing what I like to hear, every Carvin bass setup I've heard has sounded great to me. As good as Ampeg? probably not, but worth the difference in price?....that's up to you dude, it's your money!

4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have the same Ampeg cabinets that you are considering and like them a lot. Of the previous bass rigs in our band, I think the Ampeg tone is fatter and richer than the previous Fender, Hartke and homemade cabs that were played. For what it's worth, our Carvin floor monitors have been disappointing and haven't held up too well.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Cool.
    Im just waiting to sell my current rig now.
    I think I have decided to go with Ampeg.