Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg vs Ebs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pau, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Pau

Pau

Dec 8, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Ok, I'm about to buy an amp and i'd really like to know what you think about Ampeg and Ebs.

what would you choose?

1)SVT-IIIPro+410HLF
    2)B-2r+410HLF
    3)HD350+EBS-410
    4)Fafner+EBS-410

I've already tried the b-2r and the HD350 and I personally prefer the Ebs one because it sounds better (IMO) whith less sound shaping job.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I'm a bit biased, but that's only because I own option # 4. And, to be honest with you, the only way I'd change is to go for the EBS TD 620 instead of the Fafner, and that's only because it's newer.:D

3. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I would go with #4, too. EBS and ampeg are different monsters.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    A few weeks ago there was a gig and the guy had another combination : SVT-3 Pro + EBS 410. He played a MM SR5 and he had a very deep and thick tone. A rich tone.

5. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    in other words go with #4.

6. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    in other words go with #4.
    you'll thank me later;)

7. Pau

Pau

Dec 8, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Today I went to my local dealer to check out the svt and it didn't worked. It was impossible to switch on the amp. I've heard lot of stories about the bad reliability of ampegs (the new ones). Now I know it's true. options 1 and 2 are no more my options!

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Just so you know, I've tried the EBS HD350 and thought it sounded amazing! It's also plenty loud! But, if you want more power, the Fafner and TD620 have exactly that...more power.

9. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    ...and more tube feeling

10. I had an Ampeg SVT II Pro that would shut down sometimes when I ran it hard. Something to do with the tube protection circuitry.