1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPEG vs EDEN vs MARKBASS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by landa, Apr 11, 2010.

1. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    So,
    I currently have an Ampeg combo BA300, but it ain't loud enough for me and also tone quality ain't the best.

I was looking for a minimum of 500watts in power, half stack. These are the models I came across which are more or less on the same price range. I need your help to decided since where I live we do not stock these brand so I cannot try them out.

Ampeg SVT-7Pro, with a Neo 15" cab - 600watts @ 8ohms
    Eden WT550, with EN410SXT - 500watts @ 4Ohms
    Little Mark 800, with 104HF - 800watts @ 4ohms

I play alternative hard rock (Seether, Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown etc...) so I need power for heavy parts and a nice punchy tone for cleaner parts.

Help me out guys please.... if you have any other head/cab in mind.... let me know.

Cheers

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i would get either the 7 pro or lm 800 with the biggest cab i could possibly stand to carry...810 if at all possible. no sense having 800w or more if you don't have a big cab. but if you have your heart set on a half stack, don't get anything less than a 410. i personally would scale the head down to no more than 500w with a 410, but that's only because i've seen a lot of 410's get blown with 800w, even if they're "rated" to handle 800w. still, if you're careful with the volume and bass knob and know when to back off, you could use an 800w amp.

3. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    Thanks Jimmym,

I always wanted an 8x10 but thats a B*&^h to carry around :D

2x410 or 1x15 + 1x410 sounds more practicable.....

My concern is the Head!!!! Cant choose... I recently used an SVT2pro into a 6x10, sounded good, thats Y I was thinking about the 7pro 1000watts sounds good, but I need more comments about Eden & Markbass...... i know it all depends on personal taste but I will have to buy without trying!!! so I must rely on yuo guys!!!

4. The SVT7pro sounds WAYYY different than the SVT2pro! The 2 is a tube head, and the 7pro is a hybrid if I remember right. So I wouldn't assume they will sound much alike.

Looking at your gear listed in your signature I saw you have a VT bass pedal. If I were you, I would just gear a relatively clean sounding high power head. I use a Carvin BX1200 and it works really well for me.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    practical. :D

if you do the two cab thing, i'd advise either get two 410's or two 115's, not one of each. 410's slay 115's in output, plus they go as low or lower than any 115. in your case i'd go 410's. i love a good 215 rig and just used one on my gigs this weekend, but they won't get nearly as loud as an 810.

ourworldisgrey is right that the 7 pro won't sound like the 2 pro, but word from people on here is that it gets a lot closer to it than any other solid state amp they've got. i haven't tried it but the micro-vr is a similar design with smaller wattage and it gets very close to the sound of the real thing. i've never liked anything eden's made but they do have a lot of loyal fans who love it. i'm a fan of markbass heads but i'm not big on their 800w little marks. i love the 500w little marks, though. to me they get as close to the ampeg tube sound as i've heard in solid state, except for the vt pedal.

anyway it's all a matter of taste. except for the thing about using matched speakers...that's a matter of audio science ;)

6. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    Thanks guys....

I like the idea to get a nice clean sound, and than just tweak it with the VT Pedal....

What about Eden & Markbass?? tone quality I mean....
    The only thing that worries me about the 7 pro is the Made in Chine/Made in US issue......

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    everyone uses chinese parts these days, anyway.

8. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    True Jimmy... Amen

9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    7 Pros have not been out long enough to establish reliability
    LMII's have a very strong reliability track record

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to the idea of NOT skimping on speakers. A 1x anything will never do, big fat cabs, with multiple drivers is where it's at. As to the amps themselves, it's really a matter of personal preference, so I'd suggest a test drive if at all possible.

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    FYI, my Markbass 6x10 is only 71lbs and I can carry it around by myself when needed (I`m only 5'9). So yeah, if you want more speakers definitely check those out :p

12. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    Thanks guys..... Anyone tried the Little Mark 800?

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    perhaps consider the carvin bx1500?

- 2 power amps deliver 300w at 8 ohm, 450w at 4 ohms, and 750w at 2 ohm each or 900w at 8 ohm bridged or 1500w at 4 ohms bridged

10LBS

- Dual Power Amps - Biamping
    - Warm 12AX7 Tube
    - 3 Parametric EQs, 9-band EQ

I have one and REALLY like the way it sounds.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BX1500

14. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    I'll check the Carvin out.....

15. get two 410's and either the Markbass or the ampeg and slap the VT pedal in before them and you'll probably be louder than the SVT2 rig you tried and you should be able to get very close to it's sound with the pedal + some

16. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    Thanks for the tip Son of Bovril.... you would prefer Markbass/ampeg, than the Eden rig?

17. I would. Tho I haven't seen too many Eden amps fail, & I see a lot of 'em on stages.. or DID see 'em... Funny how the amp that ALL the "IN" bassists used a few yrs ago is "OUT" a li'l while later!! :) I think they're all good amps & as S.O.Bovril says - a VT bass pedal in front.......... As much spkr cone area as possible & "Bov's yer uncle" !!!

18. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Take a look at some of the Mesa stuff before you decide. I just picked up a Traveler a while back and just am blown away by what comes out of this tiny amp. The bigger brothers are worth checking out if you need a gig rig.

19. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    Thanks guys

I checked Mesa.... they are way out of my budget!!...

Still cant decided between Ampeg/Eden/Markbass, as i said I cant try them out, so I just have to order it online.....

I like that Vt growling sound, and when you play around with EQ, you get a vast choice.... I think money wise the Eden will do the trick (+ with an extra cab in the future it goes up to 750w).... & According to some review, apparentely the EQs on it are really good....

20. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Eden is no longer the latest, coolest flavor-of-the-month, but I have had a WT-550 for seven years and it has never failed me. Sounds great; has a signature "wooly" tone. Love it.