Ampeg vs Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jordy, Jan 17, 2006.

1. My main bass is a Warwick Thumb N/T 5 and I like to use DR Highbeam strings. I mainly go for a fairly agressive yet articulate (I don't like notes bleeding into each other and getting lost) tone.
    I mostly play what could be described as progressive rock, one part agresive yet with a good dose of moody, sombre material. And note that aggresive does not equal heavy.
    I will shortly be updating my Amplifier and was looking toward Ampeg; they are a great workhorse Rig and are available everywhere.
    I was looking at an Ampeg SVT-4PRO head, and a 410HLF Speaker Cabinet.
    Now, to the point; I have spoken to a heap of bass players around the traps who continue to rave about Eden.
    Now, I've never used Eden and I haven't seen any to try out at most of the shops that I frequent.
    I just wanted to get advice from anyone who has played both companies products and could give me any feedback on this topic.
    eg. Tone diff (I'm led to believe the Eden has more transparancy)
    Reliability, etc.

And if someone could give me a roundabout Eden alternantive to SVT4-Pro that would rock.
  2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I'm not the best to answer that, but I'll say that I've been using an SVT3 for quite a while as a rehearsal head, I was recently looking for a head, tried the Ampeg B5R, tried a few more and bought the Eden wt550. I own a Warwick too and would totally descibe my band as aggressive.
    I haven't got the eden home yet, only played it for a few minutes at the shop so don't trust me much. I'll say that it seems to me that ampegs have a nice dirty sound, but that somewhat limits them. The eden seems relatively more transparent, but in no way sterile or anything bad. The great thing about it is the eq, it seems like you can dial in almost any sound. My vote (and money) goes to eden. It will surprise me if it manages dissappoint you.
    good luck
  3. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey dude, if youre in Melbourne the Bass Centre stocks eden, on Park street South Melbourne. Im in a similar position to you, play REAL aggressively a lot of the time and was thinking eden or SVT CL pre/Power amp set up. Havent had a chance to try the ampeg yet but I tried the eden and must say the sound floored me, awesome fat articulate bass. The only thing Im worried about is if it would handle aggressive pick playing well (do it on few songs) but I I magine it would
  4. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I play a warwick nt/Thumb 6er, fretted and fretless. I had an endorsement deal with Eden and I got rid of that ****.
    It was good, but it was not as complimentary tonewise as the Ampegs I've been trying.
    The warwick seems to like the warmth you get from ampeg, as well as having more body to the sound. The eden stuff was hi-fi, but it was clinical. The best sound I've gotten was an old flip top ampeg with my basses. The sound from the eden stuff wasn't warm, it was unnatural highs and great sub lows, (eden xlt 4 x 10 and 2 x 10 with wt800 head). I think Gallien Krueger sounds better with the Thumb, after all, the Thumb has a natural mid presence anyway. I just want a fat sound with warmth to accentuate the growl. I got the stuff because it was in vogue at the time, but it really didn't stand the test of time, as well as the resale value being bad...

5. Wow... I'm surprised to hear that.
    Now I want a really pro Eden post.
    No, just kidding. All a matter of opinion.
    I'm looking for an articulate amp but also something to emphasize that warm horn-like Thumb mwah sound you can get from them. Am I being unrealistic? :p
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Eden all the way. i personally cant stand ampeg. too muddy, and blurry sounding. if i had a choice of large scale manufacturer, i'd rather go Ashdown in a heartbeat.

but since you asked about Eden amps, i've recently become a huge fan of their amps. IME, they're the warmer of the sounding of many "hifi" class bass amps. but it gets dirty when you want it to, by cranking the gain knob for a little furr. its not much, but adds a nice grit. and the EQ is superbly voiced, so, if you know your way around an EQ, this amp gives up some amazing goods. the enhance knob is nice, but that tends to thin out your sound. best to wrap your head around the EQ instead.

also, Eden's cab line are VERY aggressive. next to the Schroeder cabs, which you see people here on TB namechecking like gangbusters, the Eden's can slice your hand open with its searing highs, and gutting low mids. shy, it is not. cutting, punchy, and kick you in the chest is the name of its game.

but, when used together, the two components complement each other beautifully. the warmer fatter sound of the Eden amps temper the more aggro tendencies of the Eden cabs for a fat, warm, yet highly articulate sound.
  7. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Now I'm gonna throw ya.
    I own both and like both. I have a 3-PRO and PR410HLF, Love the sound but wasn't happy w/ the power.
    I also own the new WT1205, It's awesome Plenty of power and I could dial in my sound right off the bat. The Eden rig is still new to me so I'm still playing w/ it, but I'm very pleased.
    I just can't bring myself to sell my Ampeg though, even though the Eden will handle everything. I rationalize it because the 3-PRO is only 450watts and the Eden is 1200. So I keep thinking I can find a use for both.
    They are both Hybrid amps so yeah theres a difference, but not like say a Classic SVT vs Hybrid. I can get a wonderful sound out of both.
    Eden just update their line BTW. No more 8 ohm limitations, they go down to 2 ohm now and have Speakon connections.
  8. Hmmm. Thrown me you have. I'm going to have to try out some Eden's.
    AxtoOx, if you could choose a SVT-4Pro or Eden of the same wattage, which way do you think you would lean?

Plus jokerjkny, I've also thought about trying out an Ashdown, for no other reason than I've seen about a thousand ads in every bass mag lately with a lot of big name players. They look... interesting.

So I'm open to that option too. I'll try anything.
  9. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'm a big Ampeg fan, but I'd have to stick w/ my WT1205 Eden. I would not be above playing a 4-PRO though.
  10. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I'll give you something else to think about. I wouldn't call the 410hlf the most articulate cabinet. Tons of bottom end but not as clear as some cabs. You can get good tone with both eden and ampeg heads but be sure to try both with other cabs. People often use 'ampeg' and 'dirty' in the same sentence but fwiw my favourite clean tone is an ampeg head.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

if the Eden gear is a little too expensive, i say go Ashdown. incredible value for the money.

BUT, if you are in the position to get the Eden, try an Aguilar setup. to be really general, like an ampeg but on muscled "hifi" steriods. in most everything i've owned and used in aguilar, they're waaaaaay more articulate than ampeg, but with that ampeg like grunt.
  12. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    My experiences with both.

Ampeg, warm, tubey great grind. You can get overdriven sounds. Its a great old school rock sound especially with a pick and a P Bass.

I chose Eden, its incredibly articulate, Hi Fi but with no lack of character or depth. Its also a lot more versatile, I use mine in a prog rock band, jazz/funk and a rock covers band. I can get wonderful fingerstyle tone, its a great slapper and also does rock with a pick if needed.

Its a no brainer --- EDEN
  13. Even if you get the ampeg, consider the eden cabs, cause they are very efficient and have great clarity!
  14. I've used both in heavy bands (along the lines of Isis, Coalesce, Converge, Botch) and I found the best results when I used a sansamp bass driver with an eden. I got the dirt from the sansamp with the added clarity of the eden. I use an aguilar ag500 for that kind of stuff now, the overdrive channel is great for that kind of music, you can get a pretty dirty sound when you need it, but it's still got articulation. IMHO
  15. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Don't get me wrong, the Eden stuff is good, but it is a little to extreme.

The ampeg stuff isn't muddy with my basses, but I know what you mean.

The Eden "warmth" is unnatural sounding. IMHO YMV...
  16. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    This sounds like a job for Mesa/Boogie.
  17. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I use my WT550/212XLT/210XST with a Stingray and play pretty aggressively with a pick most of the time.....

I say Eden..... You get the Hi-Fi when you want it plus the aggressive grind as well ( to my ears anyway )...

Take thee to South Melbourne & try some... It's a great shop ( I always visit when work sends me to Vic ).....

18. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    That was a very good point about mesa boogie.;)
  19. Ashdown, Aguilar, Mesa Boogie... I have much to consider.
    We should turn this into an all out 'I think Jordy should buy the xxxxx one' thread, and I could make my product testing choices from there.
    See, all three of the brands mentioned above have crossed my mind at some point but I thought I had pretty much narrowed ot down to Ampeg/Eden.
    To be honest, now I'm not too sure... :meh:
    I'm indesicive at the best of times.