Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Vs. Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Insomniac, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Ampeg SVT 410 HE

18 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Eden 410 XLT

40 vote(s)
    69.0%
  1. Hello All, As you may know ive been searching for a good 4 10. Ive Narrowed it down.......

1) The Ampeg 4x10 SVT HE-

2) The Eden 4 10 XLT-

i need imput on my choice, will the ampeg or eden cut through heavy guitars and drums better? I really Love Eden's low mid bump, does ampeg match in terms or mid cut? A SWR Workingmans 2004 head will power it for a while but i'll upgrade to a better head (SVT, SVT2 ect....) any way, im worried, can the Ampeg hang with the eden?

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    IMHO, they're both really nice sounding cabinets. This one's definetly a matter of personal taste I think.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The Eden sounds better IMO than the Ampeg SVT 410HE .

But not better to my ears than the SVT410HLF. That is where my money would go, if it was my money, which it is not, so it probably won't.:D

They are both great cabs, and don't worry about the Ampeg not being able to hang with the Eden. I have been running 2 410HLF's, and they kick major butt in any kind of setting that I have used em in.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmm, let's seeeeee ... nope, I just can't decide.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah right.

6. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Insomniac,
    I think you know which i would prefer and i think you could guess which way i voted in the poll.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What Ryan said: 410xlt and 410hlf are both nice cabs.

8. I used to own an Ampeg HLF

Now I use Eden gear.

So guess what I voted for

Anyhow, can you spend a few more bucks and get the Eden XST? :)

9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Cancel the vote & A/B the cabs with the head you're using or will be using, then make your decision based on what you hear-the nuances in the sound differences, NOT specs! There!
    ...BTW if you plan on getting an SVT, I believe the Ampeg is a better choice-Only because I feel that certain heads & cabs are voiced and sound complimentary together-But my 1st statement still stands.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I haven't played the Eden cab but I played the SVT 410HE compared to the SVT 410 HLF & the HLF BLEW the HE away.

I don't know the price difference between the SVT 410HLF & the Eden in question, but I'd compare those 2 cabs & see which one you like best.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yep, GORILLA!!!! ALL THE WAY, BAY-BAY!!!

12. well the thing is, no stores in Lafayette have an Ampeg, but they do carry Eden. I am going to try the Eden again Friday, but I played the Ampeg in Atlanta. So i can't A?B them....anyone else got any input?

13. ampeg all the way, you will not be let down.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree with tis though I would usually chose Eden. Especially if you considered the 410XST.

Peace
    Nick

15. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Don't you think the XST would NOT cut through as well, because of the lack of the low-mid 'bump'?

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Eden XLT's will cut through mixes!!!! IMHO Eden makes better cabs than Ampeg......I still have my Eden 4/10XLT that had over a thousand gigs on it, great cab!

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - I agree with Jerry. I grew up in St. Lou and collaborated to steal stuff from St. Louis Music with my friends who worked in St. Louis Music's warehouse and put gear on the loading docks of St. Lous Music. We figured on one drunken night it was the only way we could get concert hall-level gear right away...(St. Louis Music, bought the "Ampeg" name and disgraced it).

Through my friends who worked there, I know the two guys who own the company are all about "profit"......not "sound." They will compromise anything in the name of "profit." That's why there is currently a post in the TB "Amps" forum about a newer Ampeg that fried.

I rent an Ampeg SVT Classic from McMurray Music in St. Louis when I have gigs there. It does the job very well.
    But I would much rather have something like my Eden XLT cabs I have back at home. But, where I go, Edens are not available for rental....(you can figure out the reasons why).

Moreover, if you want to slap and pop or have some high end, they just EMBARASS the Ampeg cabs.....IMO.

But all my blather is just "opinion." Try them both and you will find you made the right choice for you.

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    When people come through here and their ryder calls for a Eden....the local sound companies here rent mine........Larry Graham was here with Prince last year and rented it.........so now it's a treasure:D

19. I'm using what suits me well in my Korn-cover band. Ask Fieldy...

20. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    And of course we have all seen posts about, SWR, Ashdown, Eden, Mesa Boogie. Trace etc... failing. It happens to all makes of amps sometimes. Of course the difference is the Ampeg comes with a 5 year warranty if it "fries" it gets fixed or replaced. Ummm but that probably doesn't apply to your STOLEN Ampegs. :rolleyes: Obviously you also will compromise a few things for profit , like Self Respect !