1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg vs. Gallien Krueger rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by motionkid, Apr 12, 2009.

1. motionkid

motionkid Guest

Jan 28, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    This past saturday I played my first gig! :) But somthing happened that wasnt supposed to... When I was setting up my bass rig getting ready to tune my basses I turned the amp on... nothing! Absolutly NO sound! And Im thinking "your joking right? my first show and its gotta die on me NOW?!" So I had to use my friends amp instead for the show. :bassist: But Im now selling my rig along with my 5 string that I dont use to buy a new rig so that doesnt happen again. :bag:

So Im debating right now between two HIGHLY respected brands Gallien Krueger and Ampeg. I have played both and dont know what one to buy. My maximum amount is $1000 to spend. The GK's are cheaper but Ampegs are amazing. The two in particular Im looking at are an Ampeg B410HE 4X10 cab with a B1RE head, or a Gallien Krueger Goldline 500 head and 4X10 Goldline Cab package.

There both amazing brands but I can only buy 1. Which one IN YOUR HONEST OPINION do you think should I buy? :confused:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Both brands carry a wide range of products. I'm more familiar with Ampegs, and that rig would be considered sort of the entry level, whereas the GK you mentioned is not the bottom of the heap. For 1000 bucks though, you should look for used gear, a step or two above what you're looking at. Like an SVT 3Pro with a 610, or whatever. Point is, if you buy used, the same money gets you better gear.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The question I would consider is in a year or so GK will still be around if you need warranty or a repair, will Ampeg???

Paul

4. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    +1 for RickenBoogie's used suggestion. If you're looking at those two brands, I personally would go used GK. A 700RBII and a used GK 410 of some sort a grade or two above the backline and goldline cabs (SBX / SBX+, RBH, RBX, Neo).

Good luck,
    Liam

5. motionkid

motionkid Guest

Jan 28, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    Ok but from what website? Ebay, Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, ect...

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Talkbass classifieds, and your local Craigslist is where you should be looking. Educate yourself, first. Know what a good amp is versus a low level beginner amp with a good brand, (like what you originally posted). Find some stuff you can afford, and ask about it here, before proceeding. You could, and should, wind up with a pro rig for that thousand bucks.

7. dave2

dave2

Feb 10, 2007
    Texas
    Hi,
    My 2 cents is to research a bit and then buy used gear from Craig's List in your area or on eBay... or better yet buy from the fine bassist here on TB!

Of the two brands mentioned I would recommend Ampeg over GK. I'm more familiar with Ampeg and I think they are perhaps a bit better. I used to love my old 1970s SVT.

Maybe look for a deal on an older STV3Pro head and pair it with a 410 or 610 cabinet - the 410HLF cabinet I used to have kicked butt! You can find a 410HLF for about 400 to 500 used.

Have a wonderful day!

Dave

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The two brands are quite different in tone. Listen and decide. They're well-represented in many music stores, so it should be easy to check 'em out.

9. If buying through Ebay, you may get the right price but shipping could be a major issue. I've had two personal experiences where used cabinets were damaged in transit. I'm a big Ebay fan - just be careful.

As an old-school guy, I like Ampeg. If you're willing to spend a grand, you'll end up with a killer rig if you're patient. Again, I highly recommend buying and picking up locally to make sure the stuff doesn't get thrown around during shipping!

10. jwinton

jwinton

Apr 12, 2009
    I'd avoid GK, I'm just not a huge fan. However, as others have said, buy used if you go with Ampeg. The new Ampegs are built in Vietnam and are not worthy of the name Ampeg! Buy a uset SVT 3-Pro and you'll be in great shape for many years to come. The tone and build quality of an AMerican SVT 3-Pro head will rival any amp in the price range. You should beable to get one for around $400 if you have a little time to shop around. Keep your eyes on Ebay and Craigs List (I actually bought one for $275 last year with a bad preamp tube, so a $50 fix later it was fine!! ). Good Luck in your search.

11. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'd suggest a combination of the two.
    A used G.K. 700, 800 or 1001 head.
    A used 4 ohm Ampeg 610 or a 4 ohm 810 cab.
    Best of both manufacturers!

12. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Seriously, (keeping your budget in mind) if I were you I'd get two things and you would rule the world. Simple combination....1 used GK 800rb and one used ampeg
    8x10. Plug into that and forget about it. You could get those two things and have money to spare. Way loud with massive grunt.

looks like me and Shoot-r are thinking along the same lines.

13. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Is that because of a design change, or just poor quality control?

If it's just a QC issue, Ampeg will get that sorted out. These issues happen in any new factory, making any product.

14. i played one killer GK last thursday, its giving me second thoughts.. should i get one?

i already have an ampeg

15. I agree with the idea of "best of both worlds" to some extent if you go used. IMHO avoid "Ampeg" new purely on the poor health and attitudes of it's current parent company.
    If you want new, the "Goldline" is specific to Musician's Friend (and the parent company). You would be better off buying Gallien-Krueger Artist series (non Backline) or the Backline series (second choice) from www.rmcaudio.com then the "Goldline" series. You must request a quote to get actual pricing. They also do free shipping.
    I must admit I weeped some packing and shipping off my Vintage Ampeg V4-B but your back is 40 years younger than mine, if you want Ampeg go to the used market.

16. pbasskrc

pbasskrc

Apr 4, 2009
    All these ideas are good answers. I am still old school, like some of the rest, and all I would recommend is any tube amp a.k.a. Ampeg. Solid state just doesn't do anything for me. If you can find a V4-B it would suffice and should be cheaper than the SVT, although there isn't anything better than the SVT! Good luck with whatever direction you go.

17. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    I've said it before... I've used but i've used a svt-4 and svt-3 and have never seemed satisfied with either. I then got a used GK 800RB as a gift from my wife and I have not went back to ampeg since. However the only ampeg head that I have played that seemed to live up to the hype is an old SVT all tube head.

18. After near a decade with my G-K 800rb it is the reason I even considered letting go of my old Ampeg :cool:

19. I like both brands equally, If I was you I would try to get the best deal 2nd hand.

20. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I was never really a GK fan until I plugged into a 1001RB-II. If my SVT ever craps the bed beyond repair, I think I'd buy a GK next.