Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg vs. Gallien-Krueger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TJ22, Nov 20, 2004.

1. TJ22

TJ22

Nov 20, 2004
    New York, NY
    Ive been doing gigs for a while and want to invest in a good amp setup. (Was thinkin a cab & head?)

The only problem is if im gonna spend alot of money on something, i want it to be worth it. Cause im only 16 i figure will be using it for awhile. :bassist:

Ive been looking at Ampeg and Gallien-Krueger cause they have a good rep and all.

If it helps, i play a Fender p bass and a Warwick Corvette 6. My style is grunge & heavy metal.

Would appreciate the advice & any suggestions.

2. Which amps specifically were you looking at? What kind of sound are you trying to accomplish?

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    You'll definitely get a better value with the GK but the sound isn't for everyone. I play with a P-bass through a GK rig and am starting to think I'd probably be happier with the warmer sound of Ampeg.

4. TJ22

TJ22

Nov 20, 2004
    New York, NY
    The sound im after is a really warm, phat, heavy noise that can be a bit raw and edgy at times- if that makes sense.

i like Flea' sound (he's Gallien-Krueger) mixed with Korns (he's Ampeg).

DUnno which models, am open to suggestions, cause i dunno how much power i should get/ or really need for small to medium gigs. Do u think its better to invest in a larger amp setup so if you need it in the future, its there?

Pretty lost @ the mo'............. :bawl:

hey, what about having an Ampeg cab & runnin it thru a GK?
    has any one tried that?

5. Matt Freeman of Rancid uses gk heads and ampeg cabs. As you probably know, GK's are known for being growly and punchy, a little more hi-fi, and ampegs, it really depends on the model. The only Ampegs I really like are the svt-cl and svt-4. Both are very warm, and you can still get that punch, especiall with the svt-4. How much can you spend? If you want gk you could get that and get a sansamp, that would probably cover any sound you need. Or you could just get the svt-4, and I think that would pretty much cover everything you would need.

How much do you want to spend? All tube heads like the svt-cl will require some maintenance, as I am sure you know.

6. TJ22

TJ22

Nov 20, 2004
    New York, NY
    yeah, sounds good. Ive been saving some cash so was thinkin round $2500/$3000. Was gonna save to buy a car, but i think the amp setup is more important.......

7. With that price range you have ALOT of options. Take your bass, or both of them with you to some stores and play everything you can plug into. If you are interested in ampeg and gk definately check out the svt4, svt2, and svtcl. Try out some gk stuff too if you want, just play as much as you can. You might even want to try other brands besides gk and ampeg, there is mesa, demeter, eden, ashdown, etc. Just my 2 cents, go try anything, so you can narrow it down a bit.

8. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    i say the head your gonna have to decide by yourself by playing both of them back and forth for a while. but as for a cab. today i just got an ampeg SVT-410HLF. its 4x10 with a tweeter but its got the porting at the bottom and that makes an enormous difference. this cab has a MASSIVE low end and perfectly blanced highs. its 700 dollars new. i think it will be great for either a GK or ampeg head. and you can always add on another 4x10 cab for 5-6 hundred bucks.

9. TJ22

TJ22

Nov 20, 2004
    New York, NY
    thanks heaps, will do :bassist:

10. asmith

asmith

Nov 19, 2004
    Seattle
    You did good saving up the cash - you should be able to get something really cool for that. I have a SVT-4PRO and the 410HLF cab, and if you run that in bridge mono I don't think you'd be disappointed. Hopefully you can get to a store that will let you experiment? Plan on spending a few hours if you can, and if they whine about you experimenting too much just tell them how much you're going to spend and they'll be glad to let you mess around!

For the SVT-4PRO you have a couple things that really change the sound drastically - the -15db switch for powered-pickup basses really takes some edge off, but then you can play with other stuff even more :) and then the compressor takes some of the edge off the note attacks. So for what you're looking for, I'd try it with the -15db switch off for more edge, and the compressor only at about 9:00 (or about 1/4 on). The manual says do the gain up until it will flash on your loudest notes, but the amp responds different if you leave the gain lower and push the power amps.

Have fun - looking forward to hearing what you choose!

11. I vote for ampeg too.

GKs, to my ears, are very aggressive yet socially acceptable Peaveys.

12. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    id say for metal, go with the ampeg head then maybe an ampeg 2x15 or 8x10. Possibly look into an ampeg svtCL powering an 8x10 with a 1x15 under it; Total: $2850. If you look at ampegs website in the artist section you will find practically all the big metal bassists Trujillo, Newstead, Fieldy, Araya, are all signed as ampeg endorsers. It seems to be standard for the genre. But if on the other hand you want to break away from the norm my suggestion would be a fender 300H all tube head. Its $250 cheaper than the ampeg equivalent and would give you a nice rounded warm sound. Then put that through an ampeg 2x15 and 4x10 and it would sound great, or at least i hope it will (i think this is the setup im going to get next year but i might get an avatar 4x10 instead or maybe even a 2x10), that totals at $2610 or if you were to get a svt4x10hlf it would be about $2750. But reall there is a lot out there to look into. dont limit yourself to to just two or three brands with that money you could get an excellent ashdown rig and stil have a lot of change. You could also go down the aguilar route (not recommended if you dont wont to be in debt for a while), eden are very good aswell. Like i said my vote still goes for the fender/ampeg rig but its something you have to decide yourself especially when spending that much money. By the way you are probably the richest 16 year old i have ever come across in my life. Its a lot of money to spend at your age just make sure you dont dig yourself into a financial hole that you cant get out of.

13. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yeah i agree. i thought i was doin pretty well with spendin 1100 bucks on an amp as im 15. but damn

14. Buying second hand is always an option. I am 14 and have just bought an SWR 350 red head and a custom made 1200 watt 4x10, cost £500

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The most important thing is to take your time and keep your mind open to all options.

IME, it is a very difficult thing to walk into a store with a pocket full of money and not spend it too quickly.

Another thing to consider is listening to gear in a store (or at home) is not like being with a band at a gig.
    You can hear something that you think sounds really awesome and find out it doesn't cut it at a show.

Do a lot of research here on TB, you'll find alot of good advice and you'll hear alot of stories about people going through alot of gear to find what really pushes their buttions.

Go to different stores and listen to as much stuff as you can.
    For sure, take both your basses with you to shop!

Here's a totally different option to consider:
    SansAmp RBI (or Ampeg SVP-Pro) preamp -> QSC or Stewart power amp (PLX2402 or 2.1 World) -> Schroeder 21012 (or a Berg NV215 or an Aguilar GS412 or an Epifani T112 + T210).

"I want to free your mind."

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I forgot one of the best and most versatile preamps out there, the Read Purity -- can do clean or grungy based on the gain setting.

Do a search on these; you'll find lots of good info.
    And get the Telefunken tubes...

Also cab-wise, two Schroeder 1210 would kill as well.

You might want to PM 'Biker4Him". He has the Purity -> Stewart 2.1 -> Scrhoeder 21012 + 1210 cabs.

17. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well I am the proud new owner of GK, so that's all I can really recommend given your two options, but I just want to point out that for the kind of money your talking about spending you could buy a killer amp AND a half decent car.

For example, if you decide you like the tone of the GK, you can get yourself a 700RB-II/1001RB-II and some Avatar cabs that everyone is raving about for a total of about $1000-$1200. A rig like that would sound awesome, and you would still have $1300-$2000 to set yourself up with some wheels.

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

And we all love peaveys... cause they are loud... and could give a m1-Abrams a run in terms of durability/reliability.

19. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    The harmonic growl you can get with GK's G.I.V.E. technology is soo unique. I have yet to hear anything better. It'll punch through any setting and will never sound muddy or unclear. If you want warmth then you could get the SVP-Pro OR the SVP-BSP which is also a very good rock preamp which has Ampegs warmth. Personally, I don't like ampegs cab's very much. To me, they sound dull (personal preferance).
    I'd recommend GK 1001RB head with RBH410 and RBH115.
    But, if you really like that P-Bass sound then GK might not be for you. GK has a very modern sound. If you want the vintage then get an Ampeg head (SVT-4Pro) with an Aggie GS412.