Ampeg VS Gallien-Krueger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Sep 26, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Hey guys, I'm in need of some advice and a new rig. My current rig (hartke ha4000 through a GK 414 blx cab) just isnt doing it for me anymore. I'm pumping it around 300 watts but I still find that I can use more power so I was wondering about which of these setups you would rather go for. I'm mainly a rock player, punk, metal, and I'm really not a lover of knobs. Simpler the better. I've been looking into getting an Ampeg SVT-450H (which i think is a new model) and running it through an Ampeg SVT-410HLF. On the other hand I hear lots of great things about GK. My GK cab, even though its the cheap model, sounds pretty nice. So then I was thinking of getting the GK 700RB-II and running that through the GK 410RBH. They both come out to about the same price but I'd get more wattage out of the GK. Right now I'm leaning toward that GK because its more power and I love the tone that Tim Foreman of switchfoot gets from his GK rig and his Sterling (which I have on order right now) Any Ideas?
  2. go GK man. GK is awesome. IMO much better tone then Ampeg. If you play rock/metal, GK is the way to go. Very gritty and grindy/growly. Ampeg is a little warmer/smoother over all.
  3. If your gonna go solid state go with GK. For cabs I prefer the Ampeg rock sound, with their SVT cabs. And if you can afford it try Mesa/Boogie cabs also.
  4. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    GK all the way dude!!!

Just last weekend I went to GC and played through an ampeg 810 and a svt-cl.

I thought it was ok sounding. To me it lacked mids and clarity.

Then I went and played a gk 2001rb into a sbx410 and a sbx115. The gk rig was so much more louder and so much more fuller than the ampeg.

Seriously if you want nice crystal highs with clarity and no hiss, get the GK you wont regret it!!!!

5. LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Does GK have a real good growl to it? right now i have a ashdown combo and i need something that has alot more growl to it and am between getting a gk 2001rb or 1001rb II or a Mesa 400+. of these which has the best growl to it do you guys think.
  6. The GK's might give you more growl. The Mesa will give you more tube grind. Also the type of bass you have determines the amount of growl.
  7. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Well the GK 2001rb has its own distortion channel so I assume you can get some growl from that.

But if not I would go with a mesa 400+ if you want growl. The gk 1001rb-II is stilla really great head though.

Alot of guys I know use a sansamp bass di with their GK rig to beef up their sound.

But I don't think you can go wrong with either of the GK's or the mesa.
  8. babyhuey

Sep 16, 2005
    My only experience with a GK setup was not a good one.
    I've played on a friend's GK 1001rb-I(older model) and a 410RBH. I could never get a good sound out of it. It always seemed to get really muddy with any volume. I've heard so many good things about GK that there must be something else going on there.
  9. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I own both and each one does different things. For face melting bass I use my SVT and 8-10. For metal gigs this is what fits the bill. The G-K has a totally different sound that I am using more for Jam rock i.e. Widespread gigs. G-K is cleaner, to use a stupid phrase, and the SVT is a muddy mess. YMMV and trust your ears. Eight months ago I would have laughed if you would have told me that I would be playing a SS set up let alone a G-K one but hey, I plugged it in and me ears like what they hear!
  10. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I'm an Ampeg guy... so I'd say Ampeg. I like GK amps too... you might try a GK head w/the Ampeg cab. Best (or maybe worse) of both worlds.
  11. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
  12. pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    I use a GK 700rbII and an sbx 4x10 cab. It is a very good sounding setup, but almost too flat. I prefer it much more than any ampeg set up that I've played through though just because it hits THE tone im looking for, mostly. It all depends on your ears, not ours.
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm a GK guy 100% but use Ampegs in certain situations.
  14. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    GK sounds great with Ampeg cabs,I used to run my old Ricky into 800rb into 810 svt awesome ,sold the cab for something smaller what a mistake, I'm now wanting a Bergy Nv610, just a nice size cab. sounds kinda like the svt810.
  15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Maybe the speaker cabinet or how the EQ was set. Muddy would be the last adjective I would use to describe the sound of the GK1001RBII.
  16. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

It was probably an issue with the cab.

17. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    I have owned several GK and Ampeg rigs. I have done a lot of side-by-side comparisons of different Ampeg and GK heads and cabs:

Sorry to be extra long-winded, but here is my review (from experience) of some of the various GK and Ampeg gear the original poster was inquiring about. Hopefully this can lead people on the right path without having to misspend time and $$$:

Ampeg SVT-350h- I owned the 350h, and played many shows with it. I know Ampeg has finally increased the wattage in the 350h, added speakon outputs, and renamed it the 450h. PROS: Ampeg is a standard. The 350h looked quite cool, classic and stylish a great inexpensive alternative to the expensive SVT-CL. Because the guts of the amp don’t fill the wood chassis, you can stuff chords, tuner, etc. in the back, which is great when tearing down in a hurry. The head was reliable, and it was easy to get a good basic sound and can color most basses to a good tone. CONS: Even at 350 watts (now 450 at 4 ohms) or 200 (now 250 watts at 8 ohms) the head is seriously underpowered (especially in 8 ohm mode). I had to max the head out for gigs without PA support, which can cause nasty spikes to speakers, especailly in cabinets with high wattages. The sound is good, but the knob frequencies conflicted with the EQ frequencies (an ultra lo/hi would be better). This head only goes to 4ohms, which can limit cabinet choices. The fan is also quite loud, and the head is bulky (but still lighter than tube heads like the SVT-CL).

Ampeg SVT-410HLF- I have played a few back-lined shows through this cab. PROS: It is a thriftier substitution for the incredible sounding, but expensive and backbreaking PR-410HLF. All said, it sounds pretty good, and lower bass notes really boom! Toltex repels cats and beer stains better than carpet. Decent stand-alone. CONS: It’s kind of heavy, and has awkward dolly wheels instead of casters. Although it is voiced lower (by cabinet tuning and ports) it has the same lower wattage non-cast frame speakers as the regular 410. It also only comes in 4ohms, so it cannot be mated with other cabinets if your head only goes to 4 ohms. I would own it if it came in 8 ohms and/or had higher wattage speakers. The low end is good, but can get muddy. I would own it if it also came in 8 ohms and/or had higher wattage speakers, too bad :crying: .

GK700rb-II- I own the 1001-rb-II, which is about the same head as the 700rb with higher wattage. PROS: I really like my GK head, and think it is versatile, and it covers most situations of any style music. It is very punchy and lightweight. The controls are simple, and I think it is one of the best solid-state heads out there in sound, value and performance. Super! CONS: If any, the GK heads are not the warmest, and do lend themselves to a sterile direct voice. The “boost” adds substantial volume and body, but does not add tubey “growl”. This head also only goes to 4 ohms, which can limit cabinet choices. The bi-amp feature only works with GK cabs. Hasn’t happed to me but some GK heads are prone to overheat. This head will make a crappy bass still sound crappy, only louder.

GK 410RBH- I owned 2 of these cabinets, and sold them when I went through a downsizing faze when I bought a smaller 2nd car. PROS: I tried these cabinets side by side with about every other 410 and this was the winner. This cab had the right amount of low end/high end from sub lows to glassy highs, and seemed to project well and take high sound levels. The cab was also available in 8 ohms and 4 ohms. The cabinet can also be tilted back as a monitor. I used this cabinet at venues of all sizes. With a GK head this is a awesome stand-alone. Two together was almost overkill. I regret selling it. CONS: If any, the carpet attracts cat hair and cat claws. It’s quite pricey. It is a more modern looking and sounding cabinet vs. the traditional Ampeg. The bi-amp feature works on the 410RBH better than other GK cabs, but the cab oddly sounds better in “full-range”. It was a little bulky versus many other 410s.

*Warning. As much as I loved the GK RBH410, I did not like the SBX410. I know they have finally released a higher wattage SBX410+, but I owned the 410sbx, and was very disappointed. Each speaker was in loaded into an individual internal cabinet, which caused some efficiency issues. The SBX’s 10’s seemed ready to blow at any moment. If anything, the sbx410 did lend itself to grindy, TOOL type sound, or slap/pop tone, but nothing warm rock sounding. Many other GK cabs suffer a similar story. I even tried the GK drivers in different cabinets and they sounded bad. The main speakers are voiced “dull sounding” and they depend too much on the horn to bring life to them. I hate a harsh tone because the horn turned up, and the SBX’s forced you to turn up the horn (especially in bi-amp mode). I also had to warranty replace a speaker in my 115SBX-II that was blown. The construction of the cabinet was top-notch (and better than Ampeg), but the drivers seem hit and miss.

My advice. Do what I am going to do. Get a GK head and Ampeg cabs, the best of both worlds. The Gk head has the versatility of tone, and the Ampeg cab can tame the “moderness” and give the GK a rock-style definition. There’s my 2 cents! I just wish Ampeg would build a sealed 6x10 with better speakers in vintage style (of course).
  18. ampeg are nice, gk's are nice. but gk's tend to overheat a lot more then most. then again, i'm an SWR man, so yeah. :bag:
  19. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I agree with origami. Yesterday i A/B/C'd an Eden D410XLT, Ampeg 410BXT and SWR Goliath III running through a 1001-rbII. The GK + ampeg was just UNBELIEVABLE!!! So defined, lovely lows, awesome highs, incredibly punchy. This combination also handled changes in volume (me hitting the strings with varying intensity) much better than the other two without even the slightest hint of mudiness. It just sounded incredible. GK head + Ampeg cab = awesome tone.
  20. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Wow! Great review!