1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg vs Genz Benz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by haxattax, Oct 12, 2013.

1. haxattax

haxattax

Oct 1, 2013
    Okay, so heres the deal. I'm currently looking at buying a new head since my Sunn 1200s died on me. In one corner I have a Genz Benz GBE 1200 that I found on ebay. In the other corner I have an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro on craiglist. Both are basically brand new, and both are being sold super cheap at around 600 bucks. I'm in need of super growly tone and a lot of midrange punch. Whichever amp I decide to get will be going through an Ampeg 8x10 Classic cab.

For reference, this is about dead on the tone I'm looking for, I play with a pick:

Suggestions?

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    What type of bass do you have? The 4 pro would be the way I would go(and did go).

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Personally, I would opt for that GBE 1200 over practically anything Ampeg. But if you're an Ampeg guy, you might not see things the same way.

IMO, the GBE would be far superior in nearly every way... :meh:

MM

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'm kinda with MM above me. However, I've never played that particular GB head, but the others that I have played won't give you the tone you're looking for.

5. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    There is one new 1200 on the 'bay for $695 w/free shipping...

=wr=

6. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Two different flavors of good....

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Word has it that the GBE 1200 is a true tone monster, and will yield just about any sound you could possibly want - including aggressive growl & grind. Extremely flexible & versatile, with a default voicing that's modern & articulate.

That would seal the deal for me. But if you're way into the Ampeg sound, nothing will do Ampeg like an Ampeg. :meh:

MM

8. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    I play a GBE 750 that I bought for $200. Why so cheap? Because it was inoperable due to being dropped hard by it's original owner. I literally had to cut off the remains of it's SKB rack which was mangled in the fall. I then popped the top, reseated a couple of IC's and replaced the preamp tube. It's been rock-solid since. THAT is quality! A GBE 1200 can cop an Ampeg'ish tone from it's tube preamp channel, but I live in the FET channel where every note is like a musical punch in the gut. Agreed that if only an Ampeg will do, then only an Ampeg will do. Either head will easily melt your fridge.

9. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Im thinking of taking my GBE1200 out for a spin today. Its been a long while..

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Doubt you'll get that level of distortion in either amp, honestly. That sounds like a pedal to me. Nolly comes on here sometimes...maybe he'll tell you. Anyway, Ampeg and Genz Benz are both great brands with somewhat different vibes. Some gel with one, some gel with the other. That 4 Pro is a beast, though. Used them on a couple fly gigs I had recently. Packs a wallop.

11. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    Seconded; while neither is exactly what I would want for my number one, the SVT-4 is a lot of 'bang for the buck'.

12. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    If you got a deal on the GBE 1200 I can vouch for how much of a badass that amp is. It is full featured does everything that GB offers in a non class D format. I gigged with one quite a bit in AZ

13. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    The GBE-1200 is what fixated me on Genz Benz to start with- I got an opportunity to buy one and LOVED it. So much so that I quit using my HeartCore.

One warning though - it is so flexible that there are almost too many tone options and you are going to have to spend some time dialing in what you want. Knobs flat the amp sounds great, tweaked they sound great... LOTS of power too.

I am NOT a fan on the Ampeg sound but to me the difference between the two is that the GB can give you most any tone you want and the Ampeg will give you the Ampeg sound.

I guess you can tell which one I would buy!

Dan K. - Streamline 900 now

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I get any sound out I want out of any Ampegs, regardless of what it is. While they may be two different things, absolutely not true that Ampeg only gives you a sound that's traditionally associated with Ampeg.