1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg vs. Genz Benz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by imcalledjam, Jan 9, 2012.

1. imcalledjam

imcalledjam

Dec 11, 2011
    I am debating whether to buy an 'Ampeg SVT 450H' (which has massively mixed reviews) or a 'Genz Benz STM-600'

Genz Benz got the gear of the year award but I wasnt that familar with their stuff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. AmazingMumford

AmazingMumford Supporting Member

May 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Very different amps, obviously--weight, tone, controls, etc. There are numerous threads on the Streamliner (both models) here on TB with both descriptions and links to clips/vids (for example, Ed Friedland's great reviews at BassGuitarMag's Channel - YouTube), even if there aren't any direct comparisons to the Ampeg, so you can get a pretty good idea of what the amp is like to see if you want to test drive. The multiple available sources are probably what lead others to not bother to answer your post, figuring you'd find the answer yourself.

While some find that their cabs overemphasize the ample low end that the STM puts out (and either seek out more mid-present heads like the Mesa Walkabout...or get more mid-friendly cabs), generally everyone recognizes that it's a great amp with a good "tube-like" tone and feel, simple but sufficiently flexible controls, and low weight. Genz reliability and service are both top notch, and their chief engineer (handle of "agedhorse") is on TB all the time.

Good luck.

3. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    Genz Benz is the new black.

4. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    For starters, the GB is easier to lug. As mentioned before, much info here on both amps.

My advice: Buy the Genz. If new, from a dealer with a good return policy. If used, you can flip it if you don't like it. If you don't like it try the Ampeg. I only say GB first because shipping would be cheaper. But my experience with two new ampeg amps vs. two new genz amps gives Genz the quality advantage.

Why the 450 and not the 7pro? It gets rave reviews if you want the SVT sound in a solid state amp and it's 30lbs lighter.

5. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    I tried Ampeg, didn't like it too much. Tried Genz, never tried anything else. There is a reason why.

6. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Ampeg and Genz Benz are both great companies, you need to evaluate their individual products to figure out what you like. Both offer a wide range of options.

7. I have a late 70's V4 and a Shuttle 6.0. I know that they are different than the amps you stated. I prefer to gig w. my Shuttle. I push the tube pre and it gets pretty tubey. Does it sound like an Ampeg? No. But, I only take the Ampeg out of the house is if I want to look showy. It is impressive, but it also weighs 12x what my shuttle does.

8. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Wasn't the 450T just the B2RE in an SVT case? I'd rather get an SVT-7 Pro or just go with the GB.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Agreed. Anyway, the 450H vs is the Streamliner is a bit of an unfair fight. Nobody loves Ampeg more than me but the B2RE/450H is a budget amp. The PF500 and the SVT 7 Pro are the products that would more directly compete with the Streamliner, especially the 7 Pro. Got nothing bad to say about Genz Benz at all...great company, great people running it...but Ampeg amps besides the B2RE/450H just speak to me like no others, especially the PF amps and the SVT 7 Pro.

10. If you like to tone of the Ampeg, DONT get a Genz Benz

If you like Genz Benz, DONT get Ampeg

They are extremely different, in every possible way

Now, to my subjective opinion, I'd pick Genz Benz, EVERYTIME

Enough said :smug:

11. Djeetn

Djeetn

Jan 6, 2005
    Kinda ressurecting this topic ;-). I used an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro for 5 years now but I had MAJOR issues with that head. Tubes blown, transistor blew up, broke amp for the DI Out. THe unit I bought was made in Vietnam and I wasn't happy with it. At every gig I had problems and the amp wasn't that loud. Used an Ampeg SVT 610 HLF cabinet + Schecter STiletto Custom bass. I bought the Genz Benz GBE 1200 amp one month ago and it just crushes the ampeg on every level. At gigs many people come to me to ask me what kind of amp I'm using because the tone is so amazing and unique. Volume wise, it beats the ampeg to dust and also the use of seperate channels (solid state + tube) or the function to use them together makes this amp stand out. Been playing for 15 years now, owned a Harte Head, three Ampegs (B4R, SVT 6 and SVT 4 Pro) and a Backline 600 Gallien Krueger head but the Genz Benz is the true winner.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry about your 4 Pro. You had the unfortunate timing to buy one made in Vietnam. They only made Ampegs in Vietnam in 2007 and 2008, but the problems there were bad enough with Ampeg and LOUD's other brands to where the company almost went under. They ended up firing the head idiot in charge of LOUD, moved to S. Korea for production of the 4 Pro and other high end heads, and things are a lot better now with quality.

Genz Benz does rock, though...they have their own thing that doesn't remind me a whole lot of Ampeg but no sense making clones, right?