1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg vs. GK?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Parallels, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Parallels

Parallels

Mar 21, 2009
    Hi everyone,

Im looking for a head to put on my ampeg 2x10 and 1x15 and I can't really decide what to do. I've mostly only played ampeg but my friend recommended me trying a Gallien-Krueger on the count of ampeg sounding "dull" or "flat". Im fairly new to bass but I play metalcore-ish just want a lot of low end for my bass.

Once i go to guitarcenter ill probably try out an RB GK series head and an SVT III pro as well as others, but I just wanted others opinions.

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Gallien-krueger makes awesome amplifiers. I own a gk 700rb-II and it sounds killer. the rb series from gk are definitely worth trying out.

3. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Ampegs are a little bit more pricey than GKs. GK's have more wattage per $. I have a Gk1001RB. I also purchased a SVT3-pro for a little while. The Ampeg has a couple of useful EQ sections. It also has a tube pre. It's also bigger and heavier. Less power for sure, but still has plenty for most people. The Ampeg needs to be rackmounted. The GK RBs have a handle on the top so at least you have the option. It is still 19-21 pounds though, and all of the weight is on the transformer side. I found that the best GK sound to me is running it flat on the EQ. The voicing is just pretty darn good. The ampeg can be EQ'ed to have some really different sounds, and probably is more flexible on the sounds you can get out of it, but that could just me my opinion. Both heads have been around for a long time. Both are pretty much bullet proof. You really need to take your bass and cab in and spend some time working with both. There are too many variables to making the whole thing sound good. Dull and Flat could be anything, including the cabs that your friend was using to form that opinion. They aren't dull. In fact, with that much EQ, they can be overly bright pretty easily. The GK 700RB and 1001Rb have two amps in them, one for the woofer and one for the tweeter. You can only use this tweeter amp if you rewire your non GK biampable cab to work with it. GKs work fine with non GK cabs. Since you already have your cabs, maybe a 800RB would be a good fit for you too. It's truly biampable, allowing you to split frequencies from your 15" to your 2x10. Make sure you check that one out. It was pretty much the original solid state rock amp and has been around forever.
    Wes
    Wes

4. bassofbob

bassofbob

Sep 15, 2007
    reston, va
    Ampeg's comparable amps (the B series) Blow ass. I have owned both a B2 and a B4 and it did sound flat. For the price I think that the GK might be the way you want to go.

The SVT stuff (IMO) has a way better tone for what I was going for. I prefer the sounds of an all tube amp and thats why I went with the CL. Im pretty sure you can get 2 top of the line GK amps for the price I paid for my CL.

Another option is to do the preamp/ poweramp thing. I love my sansamp RBI and I can get huge sounds out of it. the other bonus to this is that if you decide to jump up to a bigger rig, just buy a bigger power amp.

5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    For the money (about $600 new from RMCaudio.com) the GK 1001RB-II is hard to beat.
    Tons of power, killer tone, easy to use EQ section, reliable, light weight, etc.

One of my favorite amps, especially for a nice growling rock tone.

Just my $.02.