ampeg vs mesa

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by defcricket, Jul 20, 2001.

1. im currently playing a carvin pb200 combo, which is fine for now because i just play in my room, but the amp is really bland, it sounds nice but very plain. when i do decide to buy a stack, i either want to go with ampeg or mesa. i love the growl that the ampeg svt2 has, artists like rob deleo (on stp's 'core'), twiggy ramierz (manson), chi cheng (deftones), many others. is there any reason to consider a Mesa 400+ or M-2000 instead? i love justin chancellor (tool)'s tone, and he plays mesa. also, what about cabs? i want an 8x10, so should i go with mesa or ampeg? i will be playing a ric 4003 and my current edb600, so i want a lot of warm bottom end, with nice mean growl. whats the best combo? ampeg head with ampeg cab, mesa with mesa, or a combination?

wow, long-winded question. anyway, let me know what you guys think. thanks a lot!

2. You could go with an ampeg head(tube) and mesa cabs...I htink mesa are some damn fine cabs, and id be reluctant to say that the ampegs ive heard sound better...
    But its your call. Let your ears be the judge. (Or, go with the tube mesa head...that would probably sound incredible...)
  3. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I think Ampeg definately makes better heads. I dont have much experience with mesa cabs though, but my assumption is that theyre probably better than Ampeg cabs.
  4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    i have an ampeg svt3 pro. it's not great - but
    gets the job done. i've looked at mesa 400
    and it's fine. i think both of these companies
    build cabinets for people with roadies. they
    are WAY too big and heavy for joe average to
    cart around - so if you don't have roadies or
    many friends and a pickup truck, i would look
    at smaller cabs. incidently, i tried that new
    mesa 600 pulse thing at guitar center through a
    swr 8x10 and was less than impressed by its
    volume and tone. was playing stingray btw.
    could have been any # of factors that made
    it sound soft/bad, but my initial impression was
    P-U. if i were head shopping, i would seriously
    look @ doing a separate pre-amp/power amp,
    but ampeg and mesa will do fine too.
  5. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Your going from a Carvin PB200 to a $1k+ amplifier and an 8x10? That quite a leap!
  6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Just so you know... there's more variables in the sound then just a head.

You have to consider what you're pluging (bass) into the head, and what the power's going to (cabs).

Also, consider this... Everyone plays a different way, the difference of a thick to thin pick could make your sound different then theirs, and you also need more than just a head, there's an EQ on those things that you have to worry about too...

It's better to just got for a sound you like then an artists sound.

Concluding what I'm telling you... Goto a store and try different equipment out. You may change your mind on the SVT. I'm not saying the SVT's a bad head... I'm just saying they sound A LOT different then a lot of other stuff...
  7. i went from a 50w $250 peavey amp to an Eden half stack (wt-800, d410xlt)... it happens.

anyways, i suggest you read psycobassguy's post awhile back about tube amps. obviously its subjective since its written by him, so its his point of view, but it covers ground about a bunch of standard production tube amps, and you'll learn a lot. just do a seach of "tube amps" or topics started by "PsycoBassGuy"

I've never played a SVT2, i've played an original SVT and loved every moment of it. The mesa/boogie imo was close, but didnt have the "balls" the svt (original) had.
  8. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I'm going to have to go with Crawling Eye on this one. Try out some Ampegs and see if you like them. Ampegs are very popular, and with good reason as they are fine amps.

However, the whole line of Ampeg amplifiers was meant to sound like tube amp, whether actually a tube amp or not, and the tube sound isn't for everybody.

I jumped in and bought an Ampeg B-2R and an SVT-410HLF a while back. One of the reasons I did was because everyone else seemed to rave about them. 6 months later, and here I am now having sold off that rig because I didn't like the sound.

Just go try out some Ampegs for yourself and see whether or not they are for you.