Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Vs. Mesa

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gr8testBASSist, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Gr8testBASSist

Gr8testBASSist

Dec 17, 2000
    Chicago
    im in a punk band and im lookin for a bass set up cab and head but i would like to know most people are telling me ampeg but i like the mesa's you guys tell me come on help me out

2. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    theres a real easy way to find out which is better.

go to the store with your bass...play every amp you can afford...the one that sounds the best TO YOU is the best amp FOR YOU. thats really all that can be said.

3. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Speaking strictly of quality, construction wise, Mesa/Boogie bass amps and cabinets tend to be a little bit better. However, they also tend to be more expensive, and their cabs tend to be much heavier.

In terms of sound, they are very different, so a comparison would not be appropriate. A lot of people say that you have to hear an amp to decide whether you yourself like it, and I agree with them.

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I like the sound of Ampeg, but both, IMO are quality amps, so if you like the sound of Mesa, who cares what other people say? If your friends tell you to get ampeg, its only because the majority of punk bassists use ampeg, but that doesn't mean that they're better, just that they like to endorse punk bands. I say go buy mesa if that's what you like.
    sidenote: Pat Kim from Unwritten Law uses the M-2000 Hybrid head, but i don't know of any other punk bands that use mesa bass.

5. Gr8testBASSist

Gr8testBASSist

Dec 17, 2000
    Chicago
    well i know what i want is a mesa but price is a problem thats why people are telling me Ampeg

6. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    An Ampeg rig would not make a good, cheaper substitute for a Mesa/Boogie rig. They sound quite different.

7. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Like I said, i'm an ampeg fan, and i don't know too much about mesa bass... but look into the M-pulse and the walkabout models... they might be cheaper, and if you want more power later, you could use one as a preamp, and buy a poweramp... that would weigh a WHOLE lot.. but its an idea.
    There's used too.. but its been my experience that buying anything with glass tubes on ebay is a bad idea, look around your area for a good deal..