1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg vs Orange (combo's)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Weirdo, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Hey all,

As of recent i've been asking numerous questions, hah. However that comes hand in hand with new stuff. Eg - Going from Esp to Fender.

Anyhow, I'm getting a new amp within the next few days, And i'm stuck between an Orange Crush CR100BXT, or an Ampeg BA-115.

I run a Fender Aerodyne, and play with a Pick. Mostly Duff Mckagan/Matt Freeman kinda stuff.

Casualties, Nofx, GnR, Rancid, Municipal Waste, Pennywise, etc. - Influences, playing style, etc.

So you have the idea of stuff i like to play, I suppose anyone with either said amp will know the rough tone i'm going for.

They're both the same price, However i'm not sure which one i want. My guts saying ampeg, But i also like Orange amps from what i've heard, and heard of.

Jackson

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only thing I didn't like about the little Orange stuff is it doesn't clean up very well. Has a cool grind and I'll give it respect there, but I struggled to get anything clean at a usable volume.

3. I see, I've also heard from a friend who told me that Orange go a bit iffy around high volumes. I'm yet to hear any criticism about ampeg though.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The biggest criticism I've heard about the BA115 is the tweeter, but I always turn them off or disconnect them anyway ;)

5. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    If your planning to gig with a 100 watts solid state you may still struggle to hear yourself. I've done it with a quiet drummer but just barely. Generally you want at least 200 watts solid state.

6. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    hiho,You need beef,playing with guitarists and loud drummers.
    100 watt is nowhere near nowadays,you might get by if bass in PA and you use it as a monitor .
    Just saying
    I,m over to an Orange terror bass 500 ,now volume is no problem.

7. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls.

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    It's not just the wattage that counts towards volume though; it also has a lot to do with your speaker and speaker area. The watts are just the power, the speaker(s) and cabinet are what lets you get it out there. .

There no reason you can't do a small/medium gig (with or without a drummer and hopefully with PA support) with 100 watts, as long as it's driving a good speaker(s) and it's an efficient box.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I cannot speak for the Orange but I owned a BA line amp once and it was a pile of issues, I have learned since that the entire BA line has issues. Some models are much worse than others but I personally wouldn't recommend one to my students. The one I owned was in service for 2 out of the 8 months I owned it is not more, I had the store who bought offer to replace it, I told them to give me store credit. From a tonal standpoint it was a fine rig, it was really what I was after at the time, but the reliability was so bad it soured me on Ampeg. I replaced it with a foreign SVT-6 Pro that had some minor issues so it went back right away and I bought a US made SVT-CL which only gave me an issue once and it was my fault for running a 6 ohm load and blowing a tube.

Personally I would probably not pick either one, as much as I like Orange heads they are overpriced and one trick ponies. Their cabinets are a scam people pay into for the aesthetics. You can get the sound you are looking for from many manufacturers. Have you tried Hartke? Almost all the big names that you'd see littering Ampeg ads when I started playing now use Hartke (mostly for reliability to my understanding). I would have bought one years ago but my dealer went boobies up a few months before I was buying a new head and now I cannot get them locally.

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My gut says Ampeg too.

I like Orange guitar stuff but I wouldnt waste my time on the Crush series.