Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg vs. peavey

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Mar 24, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    alright...i've got a peavey 810tvx. i also have a guy that wants to buy it, and i can get a killer deal on an ampeg 810e.

i need to be loud enough to keep up in a loud band setting without the help of a pa. my peavey sounds good, but it's only rated at 400 watts. i currently use an ampeg svp pro and a qsc rmx 850. for more headroom, i'm planning on ugrading to an rmx 1450 (1400 watts bridged into 4 ohms). now...the ampeg can handle 800 watts, and uses different speakers than the peavey does. so my question is this: will i be able to get a better tone at higher volumes with the ampeg than i will with the peavey because of the increased power handling?

also...the peavey is bottom ported, while the ampeg is sealed...will i still be able to get a strong bottom from the ampeg? (it's not as deep...ampeg is 16 inches deep, while the peavey is 18 inches...how much of a difference does that make?) let me know...thanks.