Ampeg Vs. SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Krinkle, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Mr. Krinkle

Mr. Krinkle

Aug 3, 2004
    I'm getting a whole new rig soon and I can't decide weather I should get an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro amp or and SWR 750x. I am also getting an Ampeg SVT810E cab. I want something that sound really clear and clean since I do a lot of slapping and I also want it to have a lot of punch and power. I need it to be pretty loud but I'm sure either one of those heads would be plenty loud enough. I just want to get some peoples' opinions on which they like better between swr and ampeg. THanks!
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO SWR's tone is the more slap-friendly of the two, SWR's mids sound scooped to my ears, nice 'hi-fi' tone. It is very easy to EQ a great slap sound from the SVT-4 Pro though.

You've chosen two great bass heads to compare, both are well built and have nice features.
  3. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The debate is resurrected! Actually everybody is just going to suggest you buy whatever brand THEY own. Lucky for you, you can find those in music stores and you can go try them out for yourself. That's the only way to know which you like better - both are comparable in quality I'm sure....
  4. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I have the 4-pro and did have the swr 750x. To my ears, for some reason, swr heads just sound (for lack of a better word) plain. Its a nice sound but it just didnt do it for me. As a owner of a aguilar db680 pre and had a demeter pre, the 4-pro is suprisingly clean. It still has the ampeg sound but its tight and clear. btw, fyi, I use the 4-pro with bergantino cabs.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    If you can get any of the many...many live recordings of Victor Wooten, he uses an SVT4-Pro head. Between his EMGs and his SVTs (and his hands and head and heart :p) is playing is pretty clear and clean.

I, like inazone, found SWR's to be rather unremarkable. *shrug* Just didn't seem to justify the cost.
  6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    This isn't going to help,
    But I'd try an Ampeg head with an SWR cab.
    I simply prefer SWR's cabs, and think(from my experience w/Ampeg heads) that an Ampeg head would give you a nice balance of warmth & clarity with an SWR cab(or 2).
  7. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    I have owned an all tube SVT 2, a Pro 4, an SWR Redhead, SM400, SM500 and SM900. Right now I use an SVP Pro pre into my SWR SM 900. When I want to play a slap line that really cuts through or a very percussive line, I usually use the SM 900, but as others have said it is easy to tweak the eq of the Ampeg to get a good slap sound as well. The Pro 4 is going to be quite a bit heavier than the SWR if that matters to you. I love the deep round sound of the Ampeg, and it really warms up the sound of my Modulus Q5. I love the tight punchiness of the SWR- combined with the...well tight punchiness of my Modulus there is absolutely no mix I can't cut through like a knife. So as you can see, even for someone who owns both it is a tough question to answer.
    Take your time and pick the one you feel suits you best, because in a few months you will be wanting the one you didn't pick anyway hehe. One thing to consider- SWR was bought by Fender and it seems there is total confusion as to servicing SWR products. I may be a little behind on this, but as of the beginning of this year customer service at SWR was a mess. Ampeg usually has a 5 year transferable warranty on their amps. I would suggest picking up a used ampeg and saving some cash, as long as there is some warranty left on it and you get a copy of the original sales receipt.
    BTW SWR cabs are the mack daddy. I still have my Goliath II I bought in 94, and aside from replacing the fuse that protects the tweeter, it has never needed servicing. My 6x10 Goliath Sr. is my favorite cab, and sounds just dandy in combo with the ampeg.
    Now I am left wondering what the Ampeg pre would sound like with a tube power amp.... hmmmm
  8. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
  9. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have an SWR SM-500 and play it through a SABDDI and Aphex Exciter. With the Sansamp on at 50%, I think it sounds like Ampeg and SWR had a baby. It has the character of an SWR with added warmth and presence of an Ampeg. My slap tone KILLS.

OK, this is where it starts to get ugly as the Ampeg and SWR crowds start throwing things...

10. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    IMO, an amps an amp. Go for the wattage. I think the SVT4 is biamp-able and the 810 cab you want can be run as two 4x10 cabs. This could be a good set up.
    I have an SWR 750 that I run through an SWR 810 cab but I bet I could get pretty much my same sound with an Ampeg set up.
  11. G&Lthump

Aug 4, 2004
    hi, i'm new.. Just wanted to mention that Vic uses an ampeg setup which includes svt4pro, BXT410 and BXT115 (with the red colored cones).. The bxt models are ones which he and steve bailey supposedly were brought in by ampeg to help design..
  12. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I'm running an SVT4-Pro through an Acme Low B-4. For me, the Ampeg adds just the right amount of color to the Acme cab.

That being said. I've always been a fan of SWR products also. A friend of mine is running a BSR4 IIRC, through a redhead and the sound is amazing.
  13. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I'd go with Ampeg because you've got an Ampeg cab and Ampeg cabs sound real good with Ampeg heads--just like they planned it.
  14. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I suppose you're right. But then again, wouldn't you expect them to do that? I would think that most players purchase the brand they prefer. :)
  15. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I've found cabs effect overall tone moreso than heads. Whatever I power my SWR cabs with, they still have the silky clarity that the SWR cabs provide.