Ampeg vs SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pau, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Pau

Dec 8, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I'm just going to receive some cash and I was wondering what should I buy with it.
    I was thinking about a SVT III-pro with a pro-410h cab or an SWR s350 on a Goliath III. Which do you think is better???
    Any other suggestions???
    Thanks. Pau
  2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Standard stuff that will help us help you:

* What kind of music do you play?
    * What kind of tone do you want?
    * What are your volume requirements?

I would choose SWR, but that's me. I dig the modern tone, although I like their cabs more than there amps.

I would suggest checking out the Ampeg B2 instead of the SVT3 - I like it better. You might too.
  3. Pau

Dec 8, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    At the moment I'm just playing in a progressive metal band but i'll soon ( I hope ) start with a funky band with some friends. Actually, since i like playing a very wide range of music i would like the most versatile amp. I thought about the B2 but I'd like to have some valve sound on my amp so i thought the svt 3 wouls suit me better. I'm not very worried about volume cause I use to play gigs lined into a PA that gives me all the volume I need. Most of 200-300 Watts amps give me enough power to play in small places without PA.
  4. I agree with the B2 comment; I like it much better than my SVT III Pr0.
  5. tequonic

Oct 29, 2002
    Toms RIver, NJ
    ive played both at a guitar center once. i dig the svt 4 that just came out and the 410h is unbelievable, great sound. the swr has some killer slap sounds though. im a big fan of ampeg, so i think thats what i would go with.
  6. I have the SVT-3pro and like it quite a bit. I would recommend the SVT410HLF or the 610HLF. The pro cabinet is nice, but they are quite expensive and really heavy. Just my opinion though, I would judge with my ears. I don't think you could go wrong with either, but you are the one who has to do the deciding.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I vote Ampeg, but that is all IMHO. I A/B'd the Ampeg SVT4 Pro vs. an SWR SM-900s in gig situations.

I started out with the SWR. SM-900s into a Goliath III cab. To me, this rig was just too sterile sounding. It lacked "balls", for lack of a better term. I did get some pretty cool sounds out of it, but nothing that really caught my fancy.

Next came the SVT4 Pro into an SVT410HLF cab (I tried the Pro series 410 in the store, but that one sounded a bit too muddy for me, and didn't seem to have the punch that the HLF does). This rig sounded great to me right away, and with some tweaking, I got a ton of great (to me, anyway) tones out of it. Tons of balls, unbelievable low end. I ended up buying it, and another 410 to go with it. I am very happy with it and have never regretted the purchase. I use it to play everything from country to funk to classic rock to modern rock.

All of the above is of course IMHO, remember, YMMV, and take it FWIW.:D
  8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I like the sound of Ampeg better myself. Tried a B2 115 combo, and a B2R head thru an SVT 410HE. The B2R thru 4x10 sounded awesome!
    Just my opinion though.
  9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    You said you play with a metal band now and intend to move to funky. Considering that, I'd get the SWR. You can always add an IOD or the like to make the SWR sound dirty if needed. The Ampeg has an awesome dirty sound but you'll never get the crystal funk sound (SWR) that many funksters love.
  10. RebelX

RebelX Guest

Oct 27, 2001
    Merrimack, NH

I moved from an SWR Grand Prix/SWR Triad Setup to an Ampeg SVP-Pro/Ampeg SVT410-HLF Setup. I really enjoyed the SWR sound by itself, but in my loud rock -n- roll environment, it just didn't stand up. If find that the SVP-Pro is very versatile for me for fingerstyle, slapping, and just plain ol bashing.

It's been a while, but I preffered the SVP Pro over the Grand Prix through both the Ampeg and the SWR cabs. The Ampeg just gives me more meat to work with! The SWR was very clean, but it wasn't what I was looking for anymore.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I like SWR and Ampeg stuff. Both are reasonably versatile, but IMO Ampeg is better at old-school/gritty tones and SWR is better at modern/clean ones.