1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg vs Trace! SVT5/AH1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris-piano, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Ok folks, Im upgrading, i need to settle on some kind of rig before hitting the road and the options so far appear to be one of these two rigs:

Ampeg SVT5pro + 8x10 Ampeg cab
    the new Trace AH-1000 12band + 15" cab + 4x10" cab

Im running a Q6 with an EBS overdrive on now and then and a NS cr5 upright with some 'verb on it.

Here's the beef. I like how with the trace you can take the EQ off via the footswitch, means i can run the EQ straight from my upright and then whap it back on for the modulus. Is this doable on the SVT? Is it even a problem if its not?!

Compression is important as im a bit of a tapoholic, the trace has very flexible compression but Mr James Leach of SikTh fame produces an awesomely blanced tone through his SVT 5pro, so maybe the 4:1 ratio switch does the job fine. Any experiences?

Finally reliability is the main thing: I killed off two 15" speakers with the upright earlier and the ashdown ABM 300 i was using didnt like it at all, in fact it was rubbish with it- is the 8x10 going to be more resilient compared to the two trace cabs?

Youve all been supremely helpful before, lets see how this one goes. I haven't seen a single review of the new traces and there are no user manuals online....

2. I'd definitly got the Trace route, and I honestly think those cabs will hold up just great!

Albeit, I've never played the SVT5. I'm a Trace-a-holic. ;)
    I'd hope the Trace head is reliable; I've heard they are very m,uch on their toes to get these things into the market.. So watch out.
    The compressor on the older Trace heads is amazing. try them both out!
    The 4x10 + 15 will also give you more portability...

3. I hear you for alot of that, i used to have an old 715 and the compressor was fun on that, and it was a trooper....i still managed to blow it up in the end but this is no great suprise.

Ive played through an ampeg 8x10 before and it was awesome too, I dont know if i have an undue fear of 15" drivers just because i blow them with underpowered gear...

Can you separate the low and high frequencies on the trace?

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Personally I say go with Trace also but I'm a Trace freak as well! :p

In all seriousness now, I don't know if I can recommend the Trace in this situation without trying it out. The old Trace AH1000 I would recommend in a heartbeat but no one, including myself, has had a chance to gig the new ones yet. I know comparing the power of an SVT5-Pro to an older AH1000 is a joke. The Trace just kills it! On the features of both heads there again Trace kills the Ampeg. You have six different footswitchable controls at your disposal. I quote:
    I do like the idea of two seperate cabs for transporting over the 810 but thats just my opinion.

The Amepg has a really thick tone that I like but Trace (atleast in the past) has always been the tone to die for IMO.

Ah heck, go for the Trace and post some soundclips after you do! :D

5. :D
    this is all very positive, jauqo is saying some interesting things about the infinitely cheaper ashdown stuff in another thread- I do like the idea of a PA rig hahaaAAHAHAHAHAH. but then, who doesnt?

I'll be trying all the kit out sometime soonish, by that i mean in june and I'll definately let you know what i think of all the stuff and how it responds to all of my gear, should be a good test for anyone wanting to do anything with it really, ill try and get the ashdown,ampeg, trace and maybe an EBS or Eden rig side by side....

....then whichever wins ill let you know how it fares on tour to the east too...If im swearing lots it means its broken down and i owe the rental people lots of money.

This is helpful to get an idea of what people want from their rigs and what i want. Certainly the switching on the trace seems to be infinitely better than on the ampeg/ashdown. Im curious to see how reliable it'll be and whether it does hi/low bi-amping and through which ohmage etc...

6. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I played my Jazz and my upright through my old SVT and SVT fridge and never had a problem.Two chanels ,two basses,too cool.
    Yea an 810 is big and a pain to haul but you only move it for 10 minutes at a gig and then smile for hours afterwards.

7. two channels but only one EQ per channel aint it?
    could be problematic, but it looks like the pro5 is pretty flexible, perhaps i could combine the drive channel for the bass and then lose it for the upright...guitars need treble uprights definately do not!!!

8. seidler

seidler

Dec 18, 2005
    SVT for Me

9. hey, i just picked up an old ah1000-12. im veeery happy with it. the thing is, its one of those heads that was manuafactured during that whole mix up with gibson. they say they were manufactured under the "watch" of gibson but all trace design. what have you heard about it.

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    They are great heads despite what some will tell you.

11. I have the new AH1000-12... it IS a MONSTER on all levels.