1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg VT-22

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluesmandan, Aug 20, 2012.

1. bluesmandan

bluesmandan

Aug 17, 2011
    Just bought a VT-22. Same as a V4 head, but in a combo, and it has reverb. Comes with vintage Altec Lansing 417-8C's. Cool. Sounds great for bass (reverb off, plugged into a 4x10 bass cab... not gonna blow the 417's!!!) For guitar, through the 417's, it's quite sweet and spanky.

I've got to replace a toggle switch on it, though. It's in the permanent "on" position. Something broke inside it I guess, and the switch won't return to "off". That, and I think one of the tubes is goin' south. Gonna have to figure out which one! (supposedly it has 11).

The thing weighs nigh a hundred pounds! Almost one pound per watt. Heavy. But what a sweet sound. Can't believe the spank.

Paid 450. And the speakers are worth $100 each!:hyper: And the dude I bought it from (he's moving) is gonna give me a piano, too. So I think that turned out okay.

I'm thinking of putting a speaker in it that will work well for guitar or bass. Not quite sure what to go with. The Jensen Mod-15-200 seems to be a possibility, and the Celestion BN15-300S goes from 47 to 4000 Hz... that might work for both guitar and bass. Any recommendations?

2. Congrats !!!
    Might be best to convert it to a separate amp head a'la a V4 & use with cab, but ymmv. Great score tho.

3. bluesmandan

bluesmandan

Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah, I'm considering making it into a head. That would lighten the load a bit, and make it easier to move. I'd still like to find a single 15" speaker that would work well for guitar and bass. That Celestion BN15-300S, and the Jensen Mod 15-200, both seem to have an appropriate range that would work for guitar and bass. I could make one cab to do double duty. And even if I end up keeping the 417's, and making a cab for bass, I'd want as bright a 15 as I could get. Either that or I'd have to go with a 2 way.

4. bluesmandan

bluesmandan

Aug 17, 2011
    What kind of toggle switch is appropriate as the power switch for this amp? Gotta replace it.

5. I had a VT-22, put it in a head box I bought off ebay and converted it to 6550s. That thing kicked ass with my '76 8x10 let me tell you...

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/p-100477/toggle-switch-spst-onoff-stdby

As far as using it as a dual-use combo, outside of bedroom volume an open back cab with a bass speaker isn't going to do you any good. I'd go the headbox route and find a single 15" if that's what you're looking for. You could always still use the 2x12 part of the box for guitar as long as the speaker cable you attach is long enough.

7. bluesmandan

bluesmandan

Aug 17, 2011
    coreyfyfe, thanks for the link. Exactly what I'm looking for.

And yeah, a single 15 cab is probably the way to go. And I can keep the 2x12 cab for guitar use, and hold on to the Altec 417's...

What do people think of the Celestion BN15-300S?

8. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

That's the way I went

bass_rig_1.

9. bluesmandan

bluesmandan

Aug 17, 2011
    Nice pic, Edword.

I've taken measurements for building it into a head. Looks like it's gonna be pretty simple.

Can't find that BN15-300S for sale anywhere. It's listed as current on Celestion's website.

Does the ohm switch on the VT22 affect volume? Right now it's set to 4 ohm. If I switch it to 8 ohm and play through an 8 ohm cabinet, will my volume be the same? It ought to... right? (This is in case I can only find the right speaker in an 8 ohm)

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The impedance switch should not change output wattage/volume. The great thing about the V series amps was the 2/4/8 ohm impedance switch, definitely miss that with my SVT.

As far as the speaker, it depends on what box you're putting it in. Can't really say how the speaker itself is without any basis for comparison.

On the headbox, if you want to go that route, fliptops makes high quality repros of all ampeg stuff, and they do make the headboxes for the V4 complete with grill cloth and all. I think they're around $200 with all the hardware so it's more of an investment than building yourself, but I guess it depends on how handy you are and how much time you have.

11. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

My Fender cab's an 8-Ohm, so I just set the 22's selector accordingly and called it a day. Couldn't tell you if there's a difference or not at another setting, never tried it.

12. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    If the cab is 8, leave the setting alone, having it at an improper setting could do harm.

13. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Tube power amps produce the same wattage (and volume) at all ohm loads. As noted above, match the output setting on the amp to the total speaker load, or you risk very bad things.

14. bluesmandan

bluesmandan

Aug 17, 2011
    Alright, so here's a pic of the new VT22 Halfstack! Just finished her today :hyper:

One heavy combo turned into two parts, half as heavy. Rigged the Altec speaker cab up with a 4mono-8stereo-16mono jackplate I got off of Ebay (so now I can use it with ALL my amps if I want to : ) (And I plugged em up just a little while ago to see how they sound... the Ampeg head sounds the best!)

Now I've got to build a separate bass cab for it. Since I can't get the Celestion BN15-300S (it's not available anywhere!)... I'm thinking of getting an Altec 515G. Apparently I can get a "new" one from Great Plains Audio. They're the same price as the Celestion. $300 (ouch). 40-4000Hz. Should work nicely for bass with a lot of top end. Deep and warm, but bright enough that I wouldn't need a tweeter.

I don't know how to use WinISD. What would be a good cabinet design for a single 15" cab using the Altec 515G?

Attached Files:

15. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Looks good so far, bluesmandan. I don't know how to use WinISD either but I'm sure others will respond, mostly to dispute your choice of driver.

Good luck with it!

16. JRT

JRT

Jul 26, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Love the sound of these old Ampegs.

Just an idea, you may want to consider replacing the solid material front panel you've used with a mesh similar to what the original V4 heads adorn. I only say this as I think it helps with dissipation up & allows for more ventilation.

Nice amp!

17. bluesmandan

bluesmandan

Aug 17, 2011
    Well, I sold the Altecs and the baffle. Built a new cab (handcut dovetailed pine frame with birch baffle) and put in WGS Retro 30's. Played the first gig with it last night, and the VT22 did great! Here's a pic of it.

Also recently acquired a Peavey headliner 210 in a trade, and have a couple of 12" speakers for making a bass cabinet, too.

Attached Files:

18. Duran

Duran

Feb 23, 2013
    I recently got this. It hasn't been used for about 5 years & I know nothing about it.

Attached Files:

19. bluesmandan

bluesmandan

Aug 17, 2011
    You have a Sunn Beta Bass head with an Ampeg cabinet... what exactly is your question, Duran?