Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg... what where they thinking?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassfroggy, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Ok, I am going to rant here.

I purchased the Ampeg preamp SVP-CL. I love the sound.
    But coupled with a QSC PLX 1202 I really have to crank it up full to get a decent sound. I am using a 210H and 115E that are rated 200W RMS (hence the choice of the amp). I used to have the SVT-350H (instead) and it was also sending 200W at 8ohm... it was way louder than what I can hear now!

So I read about the mod that was available to increase the output level.

1- why did they do that? Ok, to fit with the SVP1600! Yeah, the spec shows an input sensitivity of 0.5VRMS... when all the other (non Ampeg) power amp have a sensitivity of around 1VRMS minimum ... So at this point it is more or less clear that the ouput of the SVP-CL is around 0.5VRMS... ***? Why?

2- I called Ampeg (twice) to get a technician info to get the mod done (I'm in the bay area). In both cases after I called the numbers given by Ampeg, the tech said 'we don't do mods'! Great! Thanks for the info!
    I could send it back to Ampeg but then the lead is 3 weeks...

I feel like dumping the whole Ampeg deal and getting another 'normal' stack...

:scowl:
    :mad:

So, anyone out here had the mod done and if yes, where?
    At this point I am even ready to send it out to an able technician.

Hint: if Ampeg insider is around... what should I do? I am sure you don't want me to dump my stuff.

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Sigh.......

The original SVT has a very sensitive power amp. VERY sensitive.

The SVP-CL is that preamp......as unchanged as possible.....

So, if we didn't up the sensitivity, people with the 2volt sensitivity power amps have a problem. Many others don't.

If we did, then the complaint is "Dang, they almost got it right, but they messed the unit all up with that extra gain".

So......we have boosted it a bit to help out. So far, those who have that done appear to be happy.

Most folks who have had problems have been running the power amps at "half" on the dial, which is usually a 10dB loss of signal. There isn't any really super reason to do that, so just turning the power amp up usually does the trick.

As far as the service department....someone wasn't thinking....and they reacted to that word..."mod", as in "modification".

Yes, existing units have been "modified" to incorporate the boost for folks who needed it, and some of them have posted here about it. No, not everyone does need it. Yes, service should know about that. No I don't have the details, but I can get them after NAMM (this weekend) when we are all back at home again. And, yes, the higher output is in production.

3. All right, thanks for the background info...
    I do need to crank the power amp up to 11 anyway ;)

I'll wait till after NAMM, it seems like the whole bass world goes there anyway (maybe I should go to) :meh:

:bassist:

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Any chance you could take the pre amp back to the store and tell them you want a new one in a box from Ampeg? That way you'll be getting one with the mod already done. Just a thought.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A simple four resistor change in your PLX 1202 will increase its sensitivity too...

Lord Valve charges $50 IIRC, not sure what a tech in No.Cal. would charge.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Aguilar preamps don't really match the PLX's input either......sigh ;)