1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg - what's the better combination?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny5, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Here's what I've decided so far -
    I want keep to the Ampeg sound, upgrade from 220w, I want bigger (atleast 400w). Here are the options:

• SVT450 with seperate 210 and 115 cabs
    • B2RE with seperate 210 and 115 cabs
    • BA500 with an extra 115 cab

I play straight out indie/rock. Which setup would you go for? Ultimately the choice is mine (relax, I know) but I'd like to get a general consensus anyways.

2. Id say go second hand, get whatever cab you want and a real SVT, SVT-II or SVT-CL/2-Pro , that'll give you the real ampeg sound, and you can get them for a fairly decent second hand price usually

3. +1
    He speaketh the truth - nothin beats all tube - once you convert, you'll never go back to SS.
    BTW - those SS amps are kinda underpowered.....JMHO of course

4. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    From the options you mention, I would choose:
    B2RE & 210 / 115

That's the most flexible set up.
    I would choose the B2RE over the SVT450, because it's actually the same, but in a 19"/lighter package. The Classic style heads are nice looking though, but IMO they 're more for the all tube heads...

Also +1 on trying (second hand) all tube heads...

5. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I don't know if it's true that if you go "all tube" you will never go back ... I really dig the phat meaty tube sound but weight and the availibilty of good tubes are factors these days ... for me using the SVP ( it's the pre-amp out of an SVT) with a Crown power amp works ... But I gotta say the Ashdown ABM stuff is about as good as I've ever used!

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would look into higher quality used Ampeg heads. If you watch prices for a while, it isnt impossible to find stuff for 1/2 the price new.

All the setups you mentioned are good. I would try and go with more powerful heads.

I'd choose the 2x10/1x15 setup.

What is your budget?

7. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    If I had to choose out of those set ups i'd go for the B2R with the 210/115. But I think you should save up some more money, or take out a loan or whatever, and get a set up that you want. Like an SVT410HLF with a SVT3PRO head. Just my 2 cents.

8. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    It gets a little complex here. I know some guys here at local shops that'll give me a good trade-in value for my BA210 combo, then if I order a head and cabs from them, they'll cut me a deal. I don't mind paying for quality stuff.

9. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Ill sell you my BA-500 its a great sounding amp and its loud

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm not sure about this. I have uses for both my tube and SS amps.

I do second the notion, however, to get an SVT-II or, if that can't be found, a CL or 2-Pro. Ampeg's SS offerings just don't do it for me.

If you did end up going with a head, though, make sure you get a rack head. Ampeg has this disease where they think it's a good idea to put a rack amp into an SVT-style case and charge more for it. Makes zero sense to me.

11. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Note to self. Thanks.

12. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    haha, I have the exact B2RE/210/115 setup, and traded a (broken) BA210(sp) for it. Similar tastes.

I have to say it is a nice setup. Although the b2re is known to seem to work much better at the full 4ohms. You can use either cab alone for small stuff, but it sounds much better with both cabs. I have been having trouble getting punch out of it without the head clipping though, this might just be my basses. The preamp isnt the greatest, I believe the classic 450 would sound better, but is much heavyer, and more expensive, which seems like a waste to me. I'd say go for it (with a desent rack) and get a sansamp bass driver, this makes this setup sound much better, trust me.

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I've heard less than lovely things about the tone of Ampeg's all SS heads, but YMMV. I'm getting wonderful sounds from an SVT3-Pro (bought used through the TB classifieds) with Avatar 210 and 115 cabs.

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I think the BA-210 is an awesome sounding amp and I'm surprised it doesn't get it done for you, especially if you run direct into your PA. With that said, I had a B2R and loved it -I recently tried a B2RE and did not like it - maybe because I also got an SVT-II and just got used to tubes. An SVT-3 PRO will cost you between $550 and $600 on eBay, and I guess today nobody is bashing the 3-PRO (I think it sounds great). I sure like this amp into an SVT410HLF as others have said. This cab would be about $400 used. An Avatar 2X10 plus an Avatar 1X15 would cost you about $500 new. I think Aguilar had or has a great deal going on their 4X10 cab -like $299.00 or less. I would even spend the $600 on the SVT-3 PRO and buy used Hartke cabs. I know that sounds crazy, but if you're on a budget you have to put the money where it makes sense to.

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What other brands are at these stores?