Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg "Wife Beater" Shirt

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I was recently made aware that Ampeg is currently selling a Ampeg logo tank top shirt that is purveyed as the "Wife Beater" style shirt.

I find this offensive. It serves no purpose and makes light of domestic violence, a serious social problem. I gather this was a misguided attempt at humor.

This product is available through the Ampeg on-line store as well as Musician's Friend.

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Would you like some cheese?;)

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you've never of heard that before?

5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Common name for it from what I know.:rolleyes:

6. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Actually, no. I haven't heard that particlar description before.

That's rather beside the point. There are plenty of phrases I have heard before by which I would be equally offended.

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Yeah thats a common term for that type of shirt. Email Ampeg and tell them to change it, I bet they will.

8. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    be angry at society for accepting the term "wife beater" as a description for a certain style of tank top... don't be angry at ampeg for making a shirt; they aren't the ones that coined the term

9. lol, that's what they're called. It's not something ampeg thought up. Don't ever looked up clothing on the internet or in a catalogue. You might be offended!

10. Sue 'em...

I can't believe you're offended by a Name,I mean...you have a point,they should just call it a tank top,but alot of people know them as a wife beater...

11. Then don't watch TV. Don't listen to the radio. Don't surf the net. Don't go out to bars and clubs. Don't do anything, lest you be offended.

Even us hicks in the backwaters of NZ know what a wife-beater is. It means a tank-top, nothing else. It doesn't make light of domestic violence, unless you're (obviously) looking at that angle... :rolleyes:

12. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    As I said, I had no idea this was a common name so I'll take that input as such.

But I can't believe that anyone could find that term acceptable, humorous, or clever.

13. I know what you're saying,I was a bit suprised when I saw it myself.

But,its not like it is telling you to put on the shirt and beat your wife..:meh: :)

14. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    What is it telling me? From what "angle" should I look at this?

15. It looks (to me) like you're taking it way too seriously, and looking to find offense in things.

When "wife beater" is applied to a piece of clothing, I think of the piece of clothing - not the other side.

You're obviously the kind that gets offended easily - that's fine - but it's generally thinking like this that makes the moral-freakin-majority a problem, especially where freedom/freedom of speech is involved.

(smash the pmrc! :D are they still around?)

16. All the idiots at my school that where wife beaters need to be beaten by a wife. Big time.

17. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    By the way, the term originated from a movie where the antagonist beat his wife. He wore that shirt often. I think thats where it came from...

Either way, it's the type of shirt, that's what it is called. Its no big deal.

18. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    This isn't an issue of freedom of speech. You'll find no greater supporter of that freedom than myself.

This is about a company with which I do business choosing to use a "common" vernacular that happens to inconsistent with what I consider acceptable or appropriate.

19. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Then... don't buy the shirt.

20. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    No, I won't buy the shirt, thanks.

I also wrote Ampeg an e-mail suggesting a change in description. I would encourage any other Ampeg fans that don't approve of the "wife beater" description to do the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.