1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg with hartke

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by rich37, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Hello Steve,

I have a Hartke 5000 amp wich produces 500W RMS at 4 ohm(mono)
    I'm planning to buy an ampeg SVT410HLF(4x10", 500W RMS at 4 ohm.
    Will this speaker cabinet handle my 500W hartke at high volumes?
    Or is it better to buy a 600W speaker cabinet?
    (I don't want 2 cabinets "cause it's too much too carry around.)

note:I play a passive Fender Jazz tuned in low B with it.

GRTZ Richard from Holland

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    as a general rule, I'd look to have a higher rating on the amp than the speaker - the reason being that if you drive a speaker to where it starts to break up, you can hear it before it starts to do any real damage and back off. If however your speaker is drawing a lot of power from the amp, and you clip the power amp, the signal that is sent out can destroy your speakers in a fraction of a second... not a cheap repair...

As as a rule of thumb it might be good to get a speaker that has a 'peak' rating about the same as the power amp max, and then run the power amp a lot lower... that was the 'continuous' rating on the cab will be a lot lower...

that hartke/ampeg combination should work OK, but I've no idea how well matched they'll be - you'll have to work pretty hard to wreck either half though... :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, I did have that combination: Hartke HA3500 and Ampeg 4x8" cab. The sound was really huge, but I didn't like it, 'cause I was looking for a more hi-fi sound. Ampeg cabs are really strong and loud, though!

4. Hey
    I to have tried the ampeg 410 HLF, amazing sounding cab, really loud and tight sounding. I woulda brought it, but for my needs its a little chunky. I opted for an ampeg 210 and 115 and
    B-2R, still a fantastic comination, and portable to :)

if u get that HLF, you'll be set fer life, and hartke make great amps to!

*Si*

5. Yeah I know, that HLF is one hell of a cab.

I'm not sure of the B2R "cause it doesn't have a tube pre-amp.
    I haven't checked out the B2r yet.

But if it sounds good, F.U.C.K. the tubes.

6. I'v never been that impressed with tubes and stuff, i'v tried a number of ashdowns, hartkes, and edens (all with the switchable tube pre-amp) and while it does make a subtle difference in tone, lets be honest on a loud stage, you do lose a lot of the tonal subtleties.

hope you get the setup you want!

*Si*