Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg with hartke

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by rich37, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Hello Steve,

I have a Hartke 5000 amp wich produces 500W RMS at 4 ohm(mono)
    I'm planning to buy an ampeg SVT410HLF(4x10", 500W RMS at 4 ohm.
    Will this speaker cabinet handle my 500W hartke at high volumes?
    Or is it better to buy a 600W speaker cabinet?
    (I don't want 2 cabinets "cause it's too much too carry around.)

note:I play a passive Fender Jazz tuned in low B with it.

GRTZ Richard from Holland

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    as a general rule, I'd look to have a higher rating on the amp than the speaker - the reason being that if you drive a speaker to where it starts to break up, you can hear it before it starts to do any real damage and back off. If however your speaker is drawing a lot of power from the amp, and you clip the power amp, the signal that is sent out can destroy your speakers in a fraction of a second... not a cheap repair...

As as a rule of thumb it might be good to get a speaker that has a 'peak' rating about the same as the power amp max, and then run the power amp a lot lower... that was the 'continuous' rating on the cab will be a lot lower...

that hartke/ampeg combination should work OK, but I've no idea how well matched they'll be - you'll have to work pretty hard to wreck either half though... :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, I did have that combination: Hartke HA3500 and Ampeg 4x8" cab. The sound was really huge, but I didn't like it, 'cause I was looking for a more hi-fi sound. Ampeg cabs are really strong and loud, though!

4. Hey
    I to have tried the ampeg 410 HLF, amazing sounding cab, really loud and tight sounding. I woulda brought it, but for my needs its a little chunky. I opted for an ampeg 210 and 115 and
    B-2R, still a fantastic comination, and portable to :)

if u get that HLF, you'll be set fer life, and hartke make great amps to!

*Si*

5. Yeah I know, that HLF is one hell of a cab.

I'm not sure of the B2R "cause it doesn't have a tube pre-amp.
    I haven't checked out the B2r yet.

But if it sounds good, F.U.C.K. the tubes.

6. I'v never been that impressed with tubes and stuff, i'v tried a number of ashdowns, hartkes, and edens (all with the switchable tube pre-amp) and while it does make a subtle difference in tone, lets be honest on a loud stage, you do lose a lot of the tonal subtleties.

hope you get the setup you want!

*Si*