Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rajun Cajun, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Rajun Cajun

Rajun Cajun

Nov 2, 2000
    Any comments on the Ampeg SVT?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, it's BIG, it's LOUD and it's EXPENSIVE.

It's also BIG, LOUD and EXPENSIVE :)

3. The Ampeg SVT is one hell of an amplifier. Big. Very loud. GREAT TONE. And it will cost you. If you have the means to get one and a cab that can handle the power, I'd get one if I were you. Also, look into products by Gallien-Krueger and SWR; they also have great stuff.

4. The SVT is arguably the best bass amp of all time. They're pricey and expensive to retube and they weigh 90 lbs, but the sound....ahhhhh, tone from hell!! well worth the backache and cash if you ask me! If you get one, I guarantee you will NEVER be drowned out by another guitar player:D:D:D

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have fond memories of SVT 810's making my bell-bottoms flap, making drinks vibrate off tables and making skirts flutter... or was that just me?

I haven't been able to blank out that whole "set up, tear down and move it" thing, though :eek:
    That's when you find out who your friends really are.

brian, you forgot to mention...

they're BIG, they're LOUD and they're EXPENSIVE:D

6. Well, I bought a SVT- 3 pro with 2 ampeg cabs (1x15 and 4x10) not so long ago and it kicks some serious ass !
    Some said it hadn't enough power (450 W) but our guitar player is always complainin' he can't hear himself - and he always plays VERY LOUD !! man, the tone is just great !!

So, I'm very happy I bought this ****, it's expensive but it's worth the money if you ask me !

Wimpy 'GodcreeP' Vekeman

7. Godcreep: Can you get a really clean sound out of the SVT-3Pro? How about the tonal options/variety?
    I've been thinking about getting one of those, but to test it I would have to drive quite a distance, so now that I've found an owner of one I might as well ask first.
    Man this thing is expensive (esp. if you add the cabs).

8. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I'll agree they're big and loud, but expensive? Naaaa.
    Compare to a newer all-tube head with the same rating.

I know where you can get one right now for around $275. Of course you'll need about $350 for new tubes and a cap job. But it's money well spent.

Love mine. Wouldn't think of parting with it.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    $625 (used) not being expensive is relative.

I just bought a 400w amp for $100 less than it would cost to retube and fix that SVT you just mentioned...and you'd still have to buy it first:)

Of course, it's not an SVT... it's much lighter:D

[​IMG]

10. I have the exact same one...It's AWESOME!

11. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I have an Ampeg B100r,

They're SMALL, LOUD and a PAIN TO MOVE AROUND!

12. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    i love it! great tone, nice looks, and loudness!

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I use a collapsible hand cart to move my B100-R around...it's easy.

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I had a choice of rentals when I played out of town last weekend. I chose the SVT.

Suggest using it on bedrock or an aircraft carrier.
    BOMBS AWAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I used a rental (the 3PRO) for an out of town gig last weekend. Definitely one of the Gods of Thunder. Should have had some Blue Cheer in our set.

16. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Well since i dont have the kind of ca$h for an SVT my new BA-115 is kicking my ass just fine!

17. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yes, I am a very happy owner of AMPEG SVT '72 and had it serviced by my highly respected (but expensive technician!!!). This amp with the '76 SVT8x10 cab kicks ass of the my bands guitar players and their Marshall stacks. I am sooooooo happyyyyyyyyyy! Growing thang!!!!!
    I also have other AMPEG products like B15S from '72 and a very nice small SB12 from '62. These are for small gigs that are not rock and practise. When I got the SVT I have not played thru my SWR Redhead with Basic2Way ext. cab and plugged into PA. It is a nice amp too but does not cut thru like SVT.
    If you have a change to get SVT and you are playing rock (anykind of rock) go for it - it's worth it!

18. SkoMule

SkoMule

Nov 16, 2004
    I own a 70's vintage SVT and it's the finest rig I've ever owned. I also own a newer SVT 400-T and it's a piece of total solid state junk - my old tube 300 watt Magnavox SVT eats that new 400 watt amp for lunch!

Plus there's no tone like those tubes! I highly suggest you attempt to purchase a vintage SVT and or atleast forget about solid state ampeg amps if your looking for that big fat warm punchy tone.

Yes, there's some downside to moving it around but no worse than a big SWR or Eden (also fine amps), but not quite SVTs either are they.